Displacement+curvature?

Started by PeterSwift, November 28, 2018, 06:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterSwift

If I wanna apply a bump on the negative curvature. The surface thats not extruding out from the body with displacement. Is that possible?
I don't get the Curvature "texture" to see the displacement.

+ Could be my 3D model. Becouse I don't see any color changes when I look at the curvature after clicking "C"  everything is Zero curvature. So I guess I might need to fix my UV.

DriesV

No, this will not work. Unlike the other procedural textures, Curvature, and Occlusion, are raytraced textures and will not work as expected for displacement.

Dries

bdesign

Hi Peter-

If you first add displacement to geometry and then create a Curvature node in the MatGraph, and use the "C" color preview, you'll see that the Curvature texture is respecting the displacement. So, you could use the Curvature node as "Bump Height" for your bump texture. For more precise control of the bump height, you could run the Curvature through a Color To Number node.

Cheers,
Eric

DMerz III

Frickin' brilliant, Eric. I didn't even think of that. Thanks for sharing, once more.

Finema

bdesign

Quote from: DMerz III on November 29, 2018, 03:45:03 PM
Frickin' brilliant, Eric. I didn't even think of that. Thanks for sharing, once more.
Quote from: Finema on November 29, 2018, 09:51:49 PM
Really good Eric !  ;)
Thank you both, David and Philippe! I appreciate the kind words.

Cheers,
Eric