Grainy hard plastic

Started by spoonyboy, November 29, 2018, 01:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoonyboy

Hi,

I've seen several renders like this on Behance projects and I wonder how to have the same grainy hard plastic material like on this picture :

Thanks in advance for your answers and advices :)

mattjgerard

Bump, specular, roughness maps and lighting. One, all or a combo of them depending on what you are trying to achieve. If you have access to the Keyshot cloud library there are a couple good textured plastics in there you can grab and peel apart to see how they work, that's how I learned a lot about materials. Also look at the Mold Tech textures. You can take the bump maps from them and use them in your own materials. You won't see much of a result from these with flat lighting too, so if you aren't seeing anything, make sure you have a greaser light raking in from the side to cast some shadows of the bump map. Check out the hammertone paint material in the keyshot cloud library, I use that as a base for a lot of stuff.

IF you have version 8 you can get into displacement as well.

TGS808

Using a hard rough (in this case) black or white plastic with a simple Noise (texture) in the specular will give you this look. You'll just have to adjust the scale of the noise based on whatever units your scene is using to get it to the size you want.