Rhino 6 live linking problem

Started by Magicmez, December 05, 2018, 08:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicmez

Hi All,

I encounter a problem with Rhino live linking and KS. When updating a Rhino model with the plugin, all the Rhino unmodified parts disappear in the KS scene. Only the modified parts in Rhino are in the updated scene. Previous layers are in the model tree but they are empty.
Does someone know how to fix this?

Here is what I'm using:

Platform / OS Windows 10
KeyShot version 8.1.61
Plugin version KS8 Rhino plugin 1.0
Modeling system,  Rhino Version 6 SR10(6.10.18311.20531, 11/7/2018)
Steps to take to reproduce the problem : Model in Rhino>Render in KS>Modify model in rhino>update with live linking> Model is gone...

Thanks for your help

Cyril

PhilipTh

Hello Cyril,

I have tried to reproduce this issue, unfortunately I was not able to.

Would you be able to provide a cad file as a start point, and then provide us the exact steps that you are doing in Rhino?

ralemalph

Hi Cyril,

Here exactly the same problem. I have the same configuration with both Keyshot and Rhino being up-to-date.

Also, sometimes the live-link just stops updating at a certain point.

For both situations the work-around is to close both Rhino and Keyshot and than install the plug-in again.

Another work-around which works most of the times, is to move all components in your Rhino file by some distance, and than move all components back, the same distance. The plug-in than seems to "think" that all components have to be updated.

But off-course this is not the optimal solution. it is rather time consuming.

Ralemalph

Magicmez

Hello,

Thanks for your answers

@PhilipTh
It is very easy to reproduce and check:
1/ Draw an object in rhino
2/ Update with live linking in keyshot> objects are keyshot
3/ Update again in Rhino with live linking> objects have disappeared in Keyshot
4 Move objects in rhino > update with live linking> objects reappeared in keyshot...

Here is rhino file but I don't think it will be useful to you.
This happens on all my computers and on every files.

@ralemalph:  I noticed both of the troubles you mentioned and found the same tricks. Completely agree with you, it's time-consuming, especially when you have to restart.

@ Luxion Tech Support:
About the live linking which stops at a certain point see the last message from Arnaud in this topic
https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=20733.msg94989#msg94989. It occurs when a layer has been deleted in Rhino and yes it requires to save, exit Rhino and restart... Could you please fix this?

Regards,

PhilipTh

Hello Magicmez,

Thank you for explaining that.

I was able to reproduce it in the currently released plugin.

However, it seems that we have already fixed the issue in our upcoming release.

This is also true for the issue that Arnaud reported in the forum post you linked to.

Magicmez

Hello Philip,

Great! Very good news!

Have a good weekend

anders smith

I'm experiencing the same problem...and have send reports earlier so I'm happy to hear a fix i coming soon...
When do you think the updated Rhino plugin can be available?

rgds
anders

rstrickler

I just installed this today, and am having the same issue.  I can find references to it going back 2 years.  When can we expect the released fix?

Thanks...

Sven

Same problem here, happened since the last update. Tried to desinstall/reinstall KeyShot 8.1, problem is still here. Any solution besides the move 5mm up then 5mm down "fix"?

UPDATE:
The separation of the 'Update-Keyshot-Instance' and 'Send-to-Keyshot' buttons in Rhino solves this problem, thanks !