WAY TO DO A SEAMLESS FULL WRAP ON A BOX LID (TOP + 5 SIDE PANELS) WITH RADIUSED

Started by ldichiara, January 18, 2019, 01:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldichiara

Hi all - I have a very specific issue that I'm trying to figure out the best way to tackle. To simplify, I have a cover of a box that has radiuses on all of the edges (small ones). I need to put a seamless image across the top and all four side panels. I've tried to do this with a box map and UV coordinates; it works to some degree but I am losing registration across the sides and the radiuses on the edges.
I have tried it as a texture as well. I was wondering if there were any suggestions on the simplest, easiest most effective way to tackle this. I am hoping there is a way to do this using one texture/image/label map and not multiple applications for all sides/radius locations.

Thank you in advance,

L

DMerz III

You mentioned you used UV coordinates, but it doesn't appear that you have your lid UV Unwrapped in a seamless manner, the UVs are definitely seaming at the points where the surfaces meet.

Which modeling program are you using?

ldichiara

Eric Summers

Unfortunately SolidWorks doesn't do UV mapping. If you want to UV unwrap your model, you will have to do so in a program like Blender.

DMerz III

Quote from: Eric Summers on January 21, 2019, 06:57:27 AM
Unfortunately SolidWorks doesn't do UV mapping. If you want to UV unwrap your model, you will have to do so in a program like Blender.

Yes, as Eric mentioned, you're better off using a polygonal modeling program like Blender/3dsMax/Maya/C4D etc, Blender being Free and having tons of tutorials online, that would be your best bet in a pinch. It's not the same as modeling in Solidworks, but you'll closer to the result you're seeking with proper UVs.

That being said, you would still need to have a 'seam' somewhere, imagine your surface is paper, you can't get away with having those 90 degree folds without having seams on your corners, but with Blender you can at least define where those seams are.