Multi-Product Scene Setup - Best Practice?

Started by Rollk1, January 30, 2019, 05:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollk1

I have a catalog of 30+ products (each with 2-3 colorways) and am looking for the most efficient way to setup a scene/project that easily switches between several views per product along with easily changing the product color.

Are model sets the best way to go about this? Would it be best to load all 30+ products into a single project with several model sets, or is it best to have a dedicated project file for each product with its own model set?

Any advice is appreciated.

Eric Summers

Studios are going to be your best friend. You won't have to have a model set for each colorway if you use multi-materials. Just have a model set for each product (if you decide to put them all into one scene) and set up multi-materials to handle the different color/material options. Get your camera angles added and then the studios are just a matter of picking what you want from the drop down lists.

Personally, I like having a scene for each product. It makes it easier for me to organize things. And if you don't want to set up the same camera views repeatedly, you could create an empty scene with just the cameras and environment set up and save it. Then use it as your default startup scene in the general preferences. Then whenever you start a new scene, it will already have the cameras and environment set up.

RRIS

Eric explained it perfectly! Studios are such a lifesaver!
About model sets, I tend to have one 'default' modelset where I collect all my models, and from there I create new modelsets for each model I want to show separately. Make sure you keep materials linked if you have a lot of shared materials between products.
When working with many models and multi-materials I tend to name my materials after the part they're on and give the sub-materials the actual material name. So the top layer material would be something like 'product A - housing - grip' and my sub-materials would then be 'red rubber', 'black textured rubber' etc...

Penteon

Quote from: Eric Summers on January 31, 2019, 07:29:15 AM
Studios are going to be your best friend. You won't have to have a model set for each colorway if you use multi-materials. Just have a model set for each product (if you decide to put them all into one scene) and set up multi-materials to handle the different color/material options. Get your camera angles added and then the studios are just a matter of picking what you want from the drop down lists.

Personally, I like having a scene for each product. It makes it easier for me to organize things. And if you don't want to set up the same camera views repeatedly, you could create an empty scene with just the cameras and environment set up and save it. Then use it as your default startup scene in the general preferences. Then whenever you start a new scene, it will already have the cameras and environment set up.

How do you deal with a product that has multiple pieces, each of which  has its own components that each have multimaterials?