Noise in acrylic during animation!

Started by Poog, February 19, 2019, 10:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poog

Hi folks, cant share TOO much info due to the project being an NDA (will share as much as I can!) but when I animation this product, theres a lot of noise in the acryllic sections mainly. Now this looks fine as a still, but when animating you can see the noise like crazy. I can't get into keyshot at the moment but I'm using the default studio set up product mode, with caustics turned on and ray bounces are at about 10 last I checked. The canvas material looks great up top, and this is the only area with severe enough noise.

Samples are at about 250, and I suspect we need to bump samples up to around 500+ to resolve this but we're hoping to keep it time efficient if possible, and 500 samples might be a bit much on our current machine. I attempted samples on individual materials but didnt see the option on keyshot 8 (maybe I'm blind.)  So, thoughts? Is it the sampling, or perhaps an issue with the default lights?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Eric Summers

Try enabling Global Illumination if you don't have it on and change from Product to Interior Mode.

bdesign

Also, make sure you're rendering with Max Samples, not Max Time under the render options; this will keep the samples/noise constant for each frame and prevent flickering.

Cheers,
Eric

Esben Oxholm

Is the caustics crucial for the wanted look of you rendering?
Otherwise I'd suggest to turn that off and I think what is causing the problem. Caustics definitely needs a lot of samples to be super smooth (Espcially for animation)

Poog

Quote from: Eric Summers on February 19, 2019, 02:44:59 PM
Try enabling Global Illumination if you don't have it on and change from Product to Interior Mode.
Late answer, but doing it anyway in case someone else has a similar issue. This right here solved it.