Main Menu

Nils | Lounge Chair

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, March 12, 2019, 10:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Since Christmas, I've been thinking of doing this design as soon as I got the time. Our annual christmas holidays are often spent on the family cabin in the mountainside in Norway. This cabin dates way back to the 70s, and was built by my grandfather Nils, who passed away a few years back.

As long as I can remember, we've had two lounge chairs sitting in the main living room in the cabin. It wasn't until the christmas of 2018 I started asking about these chairs, and started to have a closer look at them. I was told these were designed and made by my grandfather as well, and underneath them, we found his signature and that they dated all the way back to 1955.

I decided at that time, that I wanted to pay homage to my grandfather and his impressive woodworking skills (making not only chairs, but a variety of other furniture), with a redesign of the chair I've named after him: Nils.

If you want to have a look at the full project(including the original design), you can see it at my behance page: https://www.behance.net/gallery/77345449/Nils-Lounge-Chair

The chair and cabin was designed and modeled using NX, while the cushion was modeled in Marvelous Designer. Props like the fireplace and table were taken from dimensiva and turbosquid.

Thanks for having a look.

Kico

I'm a fan of this on Instagram , neat design and spot-on textures. It's so great to look at full-res here. Thanks for sharing !

Eric Summers

That's really cool, Magnus. I'd say you did an amazing job of keeping the look of the original. As usual, the lighting and textures are so good! I especially like the wood grain on the chair back.

Now all you need is a coffee table to go with this chair and a kitchen table to go with the Adamantem chair! You'll have a whole furniture line soon! Which would be really cool :)

Hossein Alfideh

I have to agree with Eric! I love how original your designs and concepts are and frankly; If I saw the cabin shot anywhere else,I could not recognize that's CGI. Profoundly good!

Will Gibbons

I really admire how you seem to always nail that natural studio lighting look on your products. Well-executed.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Kico on March 12, 2019, 06:03:50 PM
I'm a fan of this on Instagram , neat design and spot-on textures. It's so great to look at full-res here. Thanks for sharing !
And thank you for your kind words! Appreciate it.

Quote from: Eric Summers
That's really cool, Magnus. I'd say you did an amazing job of keeping the look of the original. As usual, the lighting and textures are so good! I especially like the wood grain on the chair back.

Now all you need is a coffee table to go with this chair and a kitchen table to go with the Adamantem chair! You'll have a whole furniture line soon! Which would be really cool :)
Thank you Eric! I'm happy to hear it's to your liking. I really should start with those tables, shouldn't I? You're echoing my mind for the past months there, would be cool to design something that goes with those. Cool that you remember the Adamantem chair too :) Cheers!

Quote from:  Hossein Alfideh
I have to agree with Eric! I love how original your designs and concepts are and frankly; If I saw the cabin shot anywhere else,I could not recognize that's CGI. Profoundly good!
Thank you for the support Hossein! Always appreciated. Very happy to hear you think the cabin shot is within that range. It's still an area where I feel I need some practice (this one had a few rounds regarding some feedback).

Quote from:  Will Gibbons
I really admire how you seem to always nail that natural studio lighting look on your products. Well-executed.
Cheers Will. Really appreciate hearing that. I think I have been a little bit lazy with the coloring/excitement in the backgrounds lately (Nothing but a light gray paint backdrop round here), but I think it goes well with wooden products like this. Thanks!

Eric Summers

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on March 14, 2019, 08:08:22 AM
Thank you Eric! I'm happy to hear it's to your liking. I really should start with those tables, shouldn't I? You're echoing my mind for the past months there, would be cool to design something that goes with those. Cool that you remember the Adamantem chair too :) Cheers!

I'll be excited to see what you come up with when you get around to it! Cheers! :)

puyopuyo

Awesome work on this, thanks for sharing the process in your IG stories. I'm a big fan of the natural studiolighting in your shots too!