Main Menu

Tessellation issue

Started by andy.engelkemier, March 16, 2019, 07:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

Well this is troubling.
I adjusted the tessellation from the step file. It's Crazy smooth. 2deg angle, and 2% distance. There's likely way more mesh there than I should need.
"Always render Nurbs" is Not checked. So it should just be using what is visible. It looks great in real-time view.
I'm rendering this on the network so I can get my render time from 2 hours down to 9 minutes. Yay.

But not only is it not using good tessellation, but the faces are rendering faceted. This is happening at the bottom as well.

I mean, my material is a Little odd? I'm using a color gradient with view direction in the specular slot so I can control the reflection falloff. There is also noise in the bump slot. But that's it.

Any ideas? I'm trying to submit final renders here, and that's not final quality work right there.

Ian Reymond

Hello andy.engelkemier,

Thank you for your post.
May I ask which exact version of KeyShot are you using (ie: 8.1.89)?
Also, may I ask what modeling software you are using to create the file? Please provide the version or year.

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on March 16, 2019, 07:47:33 AM
Well this is troubling.
I adjusted the tessellation from the step file. It's Crazy smooth. 2deg angle, and 2% distance. There's likely way more mesh there than I should need.
"Always render Nurbs" is Not checked. So it should just be using what is visible. It looks great in real-time view.
I'm rendering this on the network so I can get my render time from 2 hours down to 9 minutes. Yay.

But not only is it not using good tessellation, but the faces are rendering faceted. This is happening at the bottom as well.

I mean, my material is a Little odd? I'm using a color gradient with view direction in the specular slot so I can control the reflection falloff. There is also noise in the bump slot. But that's it.

Any ideas? I'm trying to submit final renders here, and that's not final quality work right there.

andy.engelkemier

Not my model. So no idea where it came from. Like nearly every production model I get, it's probably from a supplier in China, created for production, then sent to an engineer in the US to look over, then sent over to a designer as a step file. They usually open that in Rhino, but I think I end up with the step file from the designer. It Could have been edited and saved anywhere along the way.

Oh, and just realized this is from the Client's keyshot file, which I learned yesterday they are still on Keyshot 7. So I guess I've opened a KS7 file in 8.2. Could have been Some of the issue.

I did get this problem with another piece though. It was a step file bounced through Rhino. I ended up turning on always render nurbs for the two pieces that were giving me noticeable problems, and that fixed it. But I tried out leaving that turned on and my network render time went from reasonable, to insane. I didn't see much in the documentation about what that is actually doing, nor how it effects network renders. But I decided, that setting wasn't for me.

A coworker also noticed that tessellation isn't linked through model sets? This confuses me because creating multiple model sets only makes the file size nominally larger. This made me thing that the models there may actually be instanced geometry? Again, difficult to find in documentation. We changed one of the models, and it was still too low in the other model sets. So we had to do some creative photoshop work. I would Love for tessellation to always be linked. I can't think of a reason Not to. I'm guessing then, if it was previously instanced, it wasn't after one is edited, so my keyshot file grew? I usually lose track of what's effecting the size once it reaches 500/600MB.

Ian Reymond

andy.engelkemier,

Thanks for that information.
May I ask, are you using the Rhino plugin or are you importing the file directly into KeyShot?

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on March 28, 2019, 08:06:52 AM

Not my model. So no idea where it came from. Like nearly every production model I get, it's probably from a supplier in China, created for production, then sent to an engineer in the US to look over, then sent over to a designer as a step file. They usually open that in Rhino, but I think I end up with the step file from the designer. It Could have been edited and saved anywhere along the way.

Oh, and just realized this is from the Client's keyshot file, which I learned yesterday they are still on Keyshot 7. So I guess I've opened a KS7 file in 8.2. Could have been Some of the issue.

I did get this problem with another piece though. It was a step file bounced through Rhino. I ended up turning on always render nurbs for the two pieces that were giving me noticeable problems, and that fixed it. But I tried out leaving that turned on and my network render time went from reasonable, to insane. I didn't see much in the documentation about what that is actually doing, nor how it effects network renders. But I decided, that setting wasn't for me.

A coworker also noticed that tessellation isn't linked through model sets? This confuses me because creating multiple model sets only makes the file size nominally larger. This made me thing that the models there may actually be instanced geometry? Again, difficult to find in documentation. We changed one of the models, and it was still too low in the other model sets. So we had to do some creative photoshop work. I would Love for tessellation to always be linked. I can't think of a reason Not to. I'm guessing then, if it was previously instanced, it wasn't after one is edited, so my keyshot file grew? I usually lose track of what's effecting the size once it reaches 500/600MB.

andy.engelkemier

No, no rhino plugin.
But who knows what went on from the import to KS7.
But for the top, which i also had issues with, I ended up exporting the part as a step file.

Ian Reymond

Thank you for that information. Would you be able to share one of these scenes with us so I can take a look?
You can send us the scene securely by uploading it to our WeTransfer and send us the link it creates to support@luxion.com.
Please make sure to add the link of this forum post (https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=24108.0) in the body.

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on March 28, 2019, 09:53:54 AM
No, no rhino plugin.
But who knows what went on from the import to KS7.
But for the top, which i also had issues with, I ended up exporting the part as a step file.

Bruno F

Since there have been no replies or updates to this post for more than two weeks, it's been locked.
You may open a new post for additional assistance.

Post closed by Luxion Support Team