[RESOLVED] bubbles, flakes, displacements issue

Started by Paul Lang, March 29, 2019, 12:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Lang

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, any geometry that has bubbles, flakes and sometimes displacements applied, I have to re-apply the execute geometry node when hiding and unhiding those object. Mostly happens when you hide the object and work on something else for a bit and then when going back and unhiding that geometry you have to re-execute the node. However if you hide and unhide right away it is ok. Also even when everything is applied and ok you save and close the file, every-time I open a file with any of those geometry nodes I have to re-execute them all. Very annoying.

on a side note would be great to have a bake function for the geometry nodes.

Paul

Francisco

Hello Paul Lang,

I would like to thank you for informing us of the issue you were having. I would like to let you know that I was able to reproduce some of the issues you had and will be making a report to have them further looked into. There are some known issues you reported that we are aware of like the hiding parts causing the part to lose the displacement, flakes, and bubbles when being unhidden.

Quote from: Paul Lang on March 29, 2019, 12:55:54 PM
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, any geometry that has bubbles, flakes and sometimes displacements applied, I have to re-apply the execute geometry node when hiding and unhiding those object. Mostly happens when you hide the object and work on something else for a bit and then when going back and unhiding that geometry you have to re-execute the node. However if you hide and unhide right away it is ok. Also even when everything is applied and ok you save and close the file, every-time I open a file with any of those geometry nodes I have to re-execute them all. Very annoying.

on a side note would be great to have a bake function for the geometry nodes.

Paul

bdesign

Quoteon a side note would be great to have a bake function for the geometry nodes.

Hi Paul-

As a workaround for "baking" the Geometry Nodes, you could create a new Model Set containing any geometry with Bubbles/Flakes/Displacement nodes (make sure "Link Materials" is unchecked; this will allow further adjustments of the original Geometry Nodes if needed), export with File > Export > Export to OBJ, then import with File > Import into a new empty Model Set (before importing, disable the Geometry Nodes on the original displaced geometry), using the import dialogue settings shown in the screenshot below (take special note of making sure the "Calculate Normals" box is unchecked). After importing, delete the Geometry Nodes on the imported models. You'll need to run the Execute Geometry Nodes function one more time after deleting the nodes.
The example images below are:

1. Default Geometry Nodes.
2. "Baked" Geometry Nodes.
3. Import dialogue settings.

Cheers,
Eric

Paul Lang

Ya I know that trick already, its just a bit convoluted. I'm sure there are some very smart programers at Luxiion that can make this process much easier with a bake geometry button like many other apps.

Paul

INNEO_MWo

Hey Eric.

Thank you for posting the brakedown of the workaround. Perhaps this would help some users. ('til we get kind of a baking node).

Cheers
Marco

DMerz III

:) Good solve for now, Eric! I totally agree with the 'baked button' option. I know it removes editability in the future, but I'd love the option.

Bruno F

Hello bdesing,

Thank you for providing this workaround. To summarize, the instructions that you suggested are shown below:

1. Create a new Model Set containing any geometry with Bubbles/Flakes/Displacement nodes (make sure "Link Materials" is unchecked)
2. Export with File > Export > Export to OBJ
3. Disable the Geometry Nodes on the original displaced geometry.
4. Create a new empty Model Set.
5. Import with File > Import into the new empty Model Set using the import dialogue settings (make sure the "Calculate Normals" box is unchecked)
6. After importing, delete the Geometry Nodes on the imported models. You'll need to run the Execute Geometry Nodes function one more time after deleting the nodes.

Below you will find links to relevant information.

Material Graph
Geometry Nodes
Model Sets

This case has be locked by Luxion Support.

Quote from: bdesign on March 29, 2019, 08:26:13 PM
Quoteon a side note would be great to have a bake function for the geometry nodes.

Hi Paul-

As a workaround for "baking" the Geometry Nodes, you could create a new Model Set containing any geometry with Bubbles/Flakes/Displacement nodes (make sure "Link Materials" is unchecked; this will allow further adjustments of the original Geometry Nodes if needed), export with File > Export > Export to OBJ, then import with File > Import into a new empty Model Set (before importing, disable the Geometry Nodes on the original displaced geometry), using the import dialogue settings shown in the screenshot below (take special note of making sure the "Calculate Normals" box is unchecked). After importing, delete the Geometry Nodes on the imported models. You'll need to run the Execute Geometry Nodes function one more time after deleting the nodes.
The example images below are:

1. Default Geometry Nodes.
2. "Baked" Geometry Nodes.
3. Import dialogue settings.

Cheers,
Eric