How to do Roll-up animation?

Started by rskmanoj04, April 10, 2019, 10:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rskmanoj04

I'm a newbie and trying to do a transition animation, as in this animation (https://youtu.be/4YY7XBpAeWE),  of a paper rolling (spooling) after moving a little distance.

I've searched as much in the internet for a tutorial or guidance that may show something remotely similar to this.

Can anyone here please guide me to any such tutorials or suggest me how to do this kind of animation.

Thanks in Advance!

Eugen Fetsch

:) this is already a good one ... the only thing you need to do afterward, is to export it as Alembic file from Blender and import it in KS.

rskmanoj04

The problem is... I didn't make this... I have to import a big machine into KS from Solidworks & should make a similar effect to it.

Eric Summers

You could create the rolling animation in blender and save it out as an .abc. Then in KeyShot import your machine from SolidWorks and import the .abc file into the same scene. Position the roll where you need it and move the animation in the timeline to the correct time point. That should get you what you're looking for.

rskmanoj04

Thank you all for the suggestion... will give blender a try now... :)

Never used it before  ;)

Cheers!!

Eric Summers

Good luck! :)  I'm just starting with blender myself. As a full time SW user, it has taken a bit of adjustment but it seems very useful.

rskmanoj04

Just for Information purposes.... (I've to inform to my superiors) Is it possible to do this in KS directly instead of using another software (blender)?

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: rskmanoj04 on April 11, 2019, 11:21:55 PM
Just for Information purposes.... (I've to inform to my superiors) Is it possible to do this in KS directly instead of using another software (blender)?

Nope. Deformable animations can't be made inside KeyShot without the use of third party software :)

rskmanoj04

rskmanoj04

Quote from: Eric Summers on April 11, 2019, 08:23:37 AM
You could create the rolling animation in blender and save it out as an .abc. Then in KeyShot import your machine from SolidWorks and import the .abc file into the same scene. Position the roll where you need it and move the animation in the timeline to the correct time point. That should get you what you're looking for.

Hi! For some  unknown reasons The .abc files are not animating inside KeyShot. The models just stand still!

I also created a similar animation in Maya, same issue.  KeyShot bug?

Any Idea what could be the issue?  & How to animate it?

Eric Summers

Quote from: rskmanoj04 on June 02, 2019, 04:02:31 AM
Quote from: Eric Summers on April 11, 2019, 08:23:37 AM

Hi! For some  unknown reasons The .abc files are not animating inside KeyShot. The models just stand still!

Hmm, I can't say for sure what's going on but I'll take a guess. Keep in mind I'm still learning blender myself.

To start, I followed the tutorial and when I imported the .abc into KeyShot, I got the error "The part 'Plane_001' contains very large coordinates." Plane_001 was my spiral to roll up the plane. Then I tried exporting the .abc with the plane to be rolled up selected and in the export dialog I picked "Selected objects only". That imported into KS with only geometry errors but otherwise it worked.

So my guess would be that something happened in blender; if you move the plane does it roll up? If it does, I'm at a loss.

EDIT:
Just as I posted this I realized I forgot to ask, did you keyframe the movement of the plane?

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: rskmanoj04 on June 02, 2019, 04:02:31 AM

For Alembic export in Blender check "Apply Subsurf" and uncheck "Normals". In KS check "Deformable Meshes" in the import prompt. There will be still an issue with the smooth shading of the plane in KS. This is a KS issue, I've double checked it in Modo - no issues there.

Eric Summers

Quote from: camomiles on June 04, 2019, 01:03:51 AM
For Alembic export in Blender check "Apply Subsurf" and uncheck "Normals".

I had been using the default export settings for Alembic, so that's good to know. Thanks!

rskmanoj04

Quote from: camomiles on June 04, 2019, 01:03:51 AM

For Alembic export in Blender check "Apply Subsurf" and uncheck "Normals". In KS check "Deformable Meshes" in the import prompt. There will be still an issue with the smooth shading of the plane in KS. This is a KS issue, I've double checked it in Modo - no issues there.

Applying Subsurf did the trick! Thank you!

Uncheck 'Normals' - In KeyShot while importing? I didn't see any Normals in Blender

rskmanoj04

.abc file when imported in KeyShot is creating a path of its own and moving. How to stop it?