Main Menu

Home Office Products

Started by JackNicholas, April 15, 2019, 07:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackNicholas

Second attempt at rendering a range of home office storage products. Again any advice is always appreciated :)

RRIS

That clock bugs me to no end, it's like looking at it through beer goggles ;)

Second thing is the floor, there seems to be just 1 texture for diffuse... which is too big and not aligned to the walls properly.
Try to find a set of normal / roughness / specular and diffuse (for example from poliigon.com) and see how much of a difference that makes.

Josh3D

File this under, lookin' good :)

There's something about the lighting - lack of shadows and too much reflection. I'd also suggest cropping it a bit different to give the shot some more breathing room. The color combo is good, but I'd suggest a floor texture that doesn't distract so much from the product. Keep pushing it!

mattjgerard

One thing that always catches my eye is that floors and walls rarely meet without some sort of base moulding or trim. Even if its just a simple box shape, that always  helps. I agree with others, the floor texture is too big and glossy, and the pot for the ficus is too close to the color of the cabinets. There is no shadow from the pot on the floor so it looks like its floating. I like the colors of the cabinets and the walls, and there is some nice shading from those. Its getting there!

JackNicholas

Quote from: RRIS on April 15, 2019, 08:23:51 AM
That clock bugs me to no end, it's like looking at it through beer goggles ;)

Second thing is the floor, there seems to be just 1 texture for diffuse... which is too big and not aligned to the walls properly.
Try to find a set of normal / roughness / specular and diffuse (for example from poliigon.com) and see how much of a difference that makes.

I thought that too with the clock but the model looks completely fine.. I think ill make some changes to it :)

I will have a look at the poliigon materials thanks for the feedback!

JackNicholas

Quote from: Josh3D on April 15, 2019, 08:27:23 AM
File this under, lookin' good :)

There's something about the lighting - lack of shadows and too much reflection. I'd also suggest cropping it a bit different to give the shot some more breathing room. The color combo is good, but I'd suggest a floor texture that doesn't distract so much from the product. Keep pushing it!

Thank you Josh, I'm always improving render to render and the community is fantastic! I will take a look at the lighting set up I fine Emmisive light takes a really long time to render i Might re model the space to use a HDRI.

I will look at the floor, it is by far the hardest part for me as i cant use displacment maps as i'm on the lowest version so everything has to be modeled.

Thanks for the feedback :)

JackNicholas

Quote from: mattjgerard on April 15, 2019, 12:07:59 PM
One thing that always catches my eye is that floors and walls rarely meet without some sort of base moulding or trim. Even if its just a simple box shape, that always  helps. I agree with others, the floor texture is too big and glossy, and the pot for the ficus is too close to the color of the cabinets. There is no shadow from the pot on the floor so it looks like its floating. I like the colors of the cabinets and the walls, and there is some nice shading from those. Its getting there!

I will look to model in some skirting hopefully that should make a difference.
I will definitely look at improving the floor, its the part I struggle with the most! I also see what you mean by the pot.
Thank you for all of your advice and comments!

JackNicholas

Hello everyone, I applied some of your feedback today! I feel this is a huge improvment :)

theAVator

I really like this update! The flooring and trim ties things nicely and isn't too distracting. The lighting is nice and gives some good shadows under the overhanging part of the cabinets. Colors of the cabinets are interesting to look at. I like the shrubbery in this one better too, it doesn;t distract from the cabinets, but also adds some interesting contrast that breathes a little more natural feeling into things.

Great application of the feedback!

RRIS

Oh yeah that looks way better. The setting still makes it look a little bit like a leftover area with unused furniture.. I know, it's storage furniture.. but if it's for a brochure or website, you may want to think about setting up some images where you show the products in use, under/next to a desk in an office area for example? Just an idea.

Are you using global illumination? If not, I think it may bring some life to the shadow areas (which seem a little too dark). Also, maybe up the shadow quality a little (1,5 - 2 if you're using 1 at the moment). Not really necessary, but if you look at the cast shadow of cabinets on the wall to the right, it seems a little jaggy.

JackNicholas

Quote from: theAVator on April 16, 2019, 10:01:50 AM
I really like this update! The flooring and trim ties things nicely and isn't too distracting. The lighting is nice and gives some good shadows under the overhanging part of the cabinets. Colors of the cabinets are interesting to look at. I like the shrubbery in this one better too, it doesn;t distract from the cabinets, but also adds some interesting contrast that breathes a little more natural feeling into things.

Great application of the feedback!

Thank you for the comments, this comuunity all pulls together to imporove the standard of rendering through Keyshot. Without it I would not have learned what I know now!

JackNicholas

Quote from: RRIS on April 16, 2019, 11:49:59 PM
Oh yeah that looks way better. The setting still makes it look a little bit like a leftover area with unused furniture.. I know, it's storage furniture.. but if it's for a brochure or website, you may want to think about setting up some images where you show the products in use, under/next to a desk in an office area for example? Just an idea.

Are you using global illumination? If not, I think it may bring some life to the shadow areas (which seem a little too dark). Also, maybe up the shadow quality a little (1,5 - 2 if you're using 1 at the moment). Not really necessary, but if you look at the cast shadow of cabinets on the wall to the right, it seems a little jaggy.

Thank you, yes it does look a little bit like that agreed :) I was tasked to create it so it did look like that (bassed off a refrence image left on my desk) we will be doing more roomshots with cabinets in place of use.

I will take a look at the lighting, at the moment it is just an emmisive plane on the left hand side of the photo

Thanks again,

Jack

RRIS

Quote from: JackNicholas on April 17, 2019, 03:54:16 AM

Thank you, yes it does look a little bit like that agreed :) I was tasked to create it so it did look like that (bassed off a refrence image left on my desk) we will be doing more roomshots with cabinets in place of use.

I will take a look at the lighting, at the moment it is just an emmisive plane on the left hand side of the photo

Thanks again,

Jack

Are you using the emissive material or area light? (because emissive isn't really suitable for lighting scenes).

JackNicholas

Quote from: RRIS on April 17, 2019, 04:19:52 AM
Quote from: JackNicholas on April 17, 2019, 03:54:16 AM

Thanks again,

Jack

Are you using the emissive material or area light? (because emissive isn't really suitable for lighting scenes).

Yes the emissive material Oops

JackNicholas

This is the same room with a different set of products. I know the rug needs a little bit of work but thank you all for your help and advice!