problems with displacement map

Started by designgestalt, May 15, 2019, 01:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

designgestalt

hello everybody,
attached you will find a picture with all my problems.
I am very thankful for all help and comments!

thanks a lot in advance !!!
cheers
designgestalt

Eugen Fetsch

Unlikely it is not possible to close those holes inside KS. Do you really need to split the geometry in this area?

You can use procedural textures to drive the displacement into the right place (see attachments). This way you can keep your geometry watertight. Would this workflow help you?

designgestalt

hello Camomiles,
thanks a bunch for the quick reply.
unfortunately I am restricted here: it is only in this very area, where the lines of the textured area run paralell, in other areas, I even have curved boundaries, so unfortunately I have to cut the dots in one way or the other! Yet I can drive the displacement a bit better as you described to minimize the areas I have to retouch. So this does help me to some extend !
thanks!

BTW:
if I am correct you are from around the corner from me, I am located south of munich. will you be in Filderstadt at Keyshotworld by any chance? would be nice to catch up with some "local players" !

cheers
designgestalt

Eugen Fetsch

Great that it was helpful.

You may underestimate the power of masks ;) With masks you can combine textures with different mapping types to very complex patterns. (see image)

To the other question:
Exactly, I live in Rosenheim - it is truly just around the corner to Munich. Check for camomiles in Google and call me if you like to have a deeper talk about this or any other topic. Or just visit me for a coffee - it is always nice to meet other CG colleges.  ;)

Cheers
Eugen

P.S.: I'll be in Filderstadt this year for sure. It's an awesome event, that I highly recommend to everybody. Great place to learn, meet, network and to be blown away by stunning presentations.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Dirk,
Are you by any chance able to UV unwrap the surface?
If yes, then you should be able to use that to create a mask with a tiny offset from the edge to make sure the displacement mapping is not affecting the edge of the geometry.

Don't know about the normals  :-\

INNEO_MWo

Hello Dirk.
As you split the curved surface which is meant to be displaced with a texture you can use the technique Eugen mentioned before, but instead of the the fade texture you can use an occlusion procedural with the inside option to clip the boundaries. (I can't upload an example, 'cause writing this with a mobile. But it should work.)

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

PS: I appreciate to see you in Filderstadt at the KeyShot World. Enjoy this great event as guests!

designgestalt

hello everybody,
thank you so far for supporting me here ...!
I got carried away over the weekend in preparing my renderings so did not have time to go through your suggestions in detail, but I will do so this afternoon!

@Esben:
yes, I could extract UV coordinates via Blender, which would solve my problem with the normals as well. but I am not really sure, if I can follow you after that. I understand the idea with the offset, but would it not still cut some of the dots in half and I would still have the same gaps, now just a bit offset to the edge? Could you be a bit more specific (if you have the time, which I know is valuable and rare for all of us ... ::) )

@all the others:
I will try out your suggestions and will let you know what happened!
thanks a bunch !!!!!

regards
designgestalt

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: designgestalt on May 20, 2019, 01:55:30 AM
@Esben:
yes, I could extract UV coordinates via Blender, which would solve my problem with the normals as well. but I am not really sure, if I can follow you after that. I understand the idea with the offset, but would it not still cut some of the dots in half and I would still have the same gaps, now just a bit offset to the edge? Could you be a bit more specific (if you have the time, which I know is valuable and rare for all of us ... ::) )

I might be wrong here, but I thought you got the holes as the displacement touched the edges of a single surface part. I believe that if the displacement is not touching the very boundaries of the surface (or single piece of geometry), then you shouldn't get the holes/gaps in the mesh. - but again, not 100% sure :)

designgestalt

thanks Esben, makes sense and is worth a try!
unfortunately I am bound with the constraints here:
the texture needs to be sitting proud, as it is meant to protect the main surface! (it seems to be much easier if the texture is "negative" like in Camomiles example)
Camomiles idea works both ways and does fill the gaps, the texture will create along the borderline when extruded.
A very nice and elegant way, but in my special case it does not work as I cannot  use  a mask, as the shape that has the texture is cut out of a surface quilt and is not created by some sort of mask!
as for the moment being I was able to place the texture in a way, that it is not obvious in my renderings, but I am still investigating for a better solution for the future! I am very thankful for so much support!!!
cheers
designgestalt