Main Menu

Material-Specific Bloom

Started by monson67, June 20, 2019, 07:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monson67

Bloom is a great feature, and I know there are settings to adjust the amount, radius and threshold. However, to get the amount of bloom that I want on an emissive object, I get unwanted bloom in other areas of the scene because they happen to meet the criteria set by the amount, radius and threshold sliders. I find myself often having to render multiple images, overlay them in Photoshop, and paint layer masks to isolate the wanted bloom from the unwanted bloom.

What I would like to see is an option in the Bloom section of the Image Style window that allows users to limit bloom to certain material types. Maybe a couple of radio buttons to either apply bloom to the entire scene or apply bloom to selected material types. Nested under the second option would be a list of checkboxes connected to the types of materials to apply bloom to.

I've attached an image of what that could look like.

P.S. Another variation for finer control, though maybe not possible outside of the Image Style window, would be to add a bloom checkbox and sliders as an option in any material (or just light emitting materials).