Medical Devices and stuff (many photos!)

Started by Speedster, June 21, 2019, 12:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi Team!

I've been MIA for awhile now, and figured it's about time to jump back in!  Actually, after two brutal years of 10 hour days, designing five medical devices, I decided to take a complete break and reassess my life and career.  I've been a self-employed product designer for 47 years now, and maybe it's time to figure out what I want to be when I grow up!  Trust me, we will all go through this at some time...

When going back in time, I selected a few medical devices I've designed in SolidWorks, and all rendered in KeyShot, Version 1 (2008) to the current Version 8.  Image-2 was in KS1. Quite a progression over the years by the Luxion Genius Team!

Images 1-16 are misc. devices and stuff on which the NDA's have been lifted.  There are many others still under an NDA.

Images 17-24 are my current fine arts work.  SolidWorks > KeyShot > FilterForge > Dynamic Auto Painter (DAP) > Luminar 3, with Photoshop CS5 used as needed in the chain.  I print in-house on an Epson P800 printer using MOAB media.

Now...

image 25 is my resurrected Ahoken Recording Studio.  During the break, and highly inspired by the amazing "ECHO" microphone by Magnus and other studio gear renderings shared on the Forum, I was fired up to bring back my old studio, stored in boxes for the past ten years. We did our first CD, "Echwachem", in 2008.  I switched from ADAT (tape) to DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), got a sweet Dell laptop, Studio One 4 DAW and an Audient iD44 digital interface. Using my old Universal Audio 1176 tube pre-amp/compressor, Mackie board and TC Electronics M1 effects box.  Really neat and a lot of fun!  I'm about halfway through a new album of Native American and Mesoamerican music, using my collection of about 100 instruments, like flutes (which I made), rattles, drums, clapsticks, Teponatzli slot drums and the like. The studio is directly across the office from my SolidWorks/KeyShot BOXX based design studio

It's been great to take some time off to clear the brain, and to prove that, at 72, "it ain't over until it's over"!  Or, as I prefer, "Grow or Die"!

Bill G

At the end there's some images of my current work, which is focused on my fine art prints. 

Speedster

Some more- hope I'm not boring you! 

Image 24 is an abstract created in FilterForge + Photoshop, from my KeyShot rendering of my 1913 Model T Speedster!

Bill G

Magnus Skogsfjord

Holy cow Bill! Missing in action maybe yes, but you've been keeping quite busy I see.

First of all, loving those medical device images. Particularly the translucent/transparent materials you got in the tubings and such. That "fluffy" material on 13-CCT also caught my eye. Have to admit I have no idea what I'm looking at for the most of these, but many goodies! The medical field seems like a difficult area to get a foothold in too. I have a friend with diabetes who wanted to enter the market with an innovative insulin-pen, but the pain of getting a foothold in the industry proved too hard, so he just left it at one moment. Maybe that's just Europe though..?

It's strange to hear how YOU are inspired by MY work, given that you've been doing this now for 47 years. Now I say that's inspiring, and I will consider myself a lucky chap if I'm able to stay in the game for that long. And I guess the reassassment of life and career is something that comes up now and again whatever age you might be. I have been through a couple of rounds already. At the end of the day, taking some good long breaks is usually what it takes (at least for me so far).

Thanks for sharing Bill!

RRIS

Very cool Bill, nothing like seeing real-world product design engineering! Magnus mentioned it as well, but how did you manage to get your freelance career on the road? Did you take on clients from a previous
job? I think we all have that moment where we contemplate career changes, but to have it happen in your 70's is something I consider very lucky! :)
Btw, that first artistic shot of that train kind of blew me away! I've mentioned in the past I'm not really a fan of big and brash color use, but that one seems to be in perfect balance!