Budweiser Beer Bottle - Water drops and Condensation

Started by Liam Martin, June 29, 2019, 03:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liam Martin

Hi all,

I've been working on a method to create water drops and condensation really quickly using displacement. I tried it out with this render of an ice cold bottle of Budweiser and it's working out surprisingly well. I used an external texture for the streaks of water and inbuilt Keyshot tools for the drops. I'm going to put up a YouTube video when I'm ready to share it, but in the meantime, if anyone's got any suggestions or improvements let me know!

Liam  :)

naghi

nice job. I`d like to see how the drops are made

Liam Martin

Josh3D

Nice! We've got some beer and coke peeps on here, so sure you'll have some interest with this!

To me, it looks like there's a slight pattern in the texture? Maybe it's a reflection of the streaks/droplets on the inside of the glass? Not sure exactly. Is there a liquid in the bottle?

Also, and I can't recall who shared it, but there's a method for setting up the lighting so the profile of the bottle stands out against the background instead of blending in too light or too dark. For your setup, a backlight or a light on each side just barely hitting the edge would do it.

Looking forward to the video!

Liam Martin

Quote from: Josh3D on July 01, 2019, 12:31:44 PM
Nice! We've got some beer and coke peeps on here, so sure you'll have some interest with this!

To me, it looks like there's a slight pattern in the texture? Maybe it's a reflection of the streaks/droplets on the inside of the glass? Not sure exactly. Is there a liquid in the bottle?

Also, and I can't recall who shared it, but there's a method for setting up the lighting so the profile of the bottle stands out against the background instead of blending in too light or too dark. For your setup, a backlight or a light on each side just barely hitting the edge would do it.

Thanks Josh! There isn't liquid inside the bottle in this scene. The textures and displacement are on the inside of the glass which disturbs the end effect. Trying to find the best way to only project the 'spots' procedural texture to the outside of the model - do you happen to know if there's any way to achieve this? Possibly splitting the geometry?

Josh3D

Hmm, trying to wrap my head around the method you're taking using spots. Splitting the geo is the first approach I'd try. Any reason you're not using displacement?

Liam Martin

I am using displacement, driving the shape with the spots plugin to create the main droplets, then adding a streaks texture with bump to get more shape. Even if I split the geo to leave the glass on the inside unaffected, the spots module will still project all the way around the new geo. I need a way to only project it onto the outside of the bottle.

Finema

Quote from: lm96 on July 02, 2019, 03:30:24 AM
Quote from: Josh3D on July 01, 2019, 12:31:44 PM

Trying to find the best way to only project the 'spots' procedural texture to the outside of the model
Hi
I use UV mapping  :D