Trying to use UV mapping to paint a boat hull

Started by CodyBrown, August 08, 2019, 07:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodyBrown

I'm trying to apply a paint job to the side of a boat hull that is modeled in NX. using labels will sort of work but the stripes eventually run up into the deck where they shouldn't because its projecting a flat image onto the curved surface of the boat hull. I've read a lot about blender but have never used it. i just got it this morning and I'm trying to flatten my hull into a uv mesh so i can perfectly map my graphics and they will wrap my hull with ease. i can only get one half of my hull to flatten out and it still doesn't seem exactly correct.

are there any other methods to map graphics to my hull side like what I'm wanting or is there an easier way to do it in blender that I'm just missing because I'm so new to it? any help is greatly appreciated.

RRIS

Isn't it easier to do planar mapping? From the side or bottom? You could split your geometry so that you don't have textures showing up where they don't belong.

CodyBrown

wouldnt the planar mapping have the same result as trying to apply it as a label since it would be projected off a flat surface? my geometry is all split but as the side of the hull goes up and out as it gets bigger and closer to the bow, it causes the stripe to rise way above where it should be at the nose of my boat.