Recreate material from a video

Started by jblaze, August 08, 2019, 07:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblaze

Guys,
I came across this video and I was wondering if you could help me recreate the rock material. As you can see it's not "flat" and has "peaks and valleys" :). I believe that it could be done with the displacement feature introduced in KS8 but  I don't know how to do it. I've checked the KS library for rock materials but there aren't any (there are only few in the cloud library).
I would really appreciate any advices how to start and proceed further.
Thank you!

PS Just out of curiosity - is there a way to recreate the liqud cement shown in the video.

RRIS

Have a look at Quixel Megascans, Poliigon or some other texture sites. They have texture packages including displacement maps (and sometimes premade geometry as well).
As for the cement, you'll need a particle simulation for that, Blender has all you need to create such an animation. You can then import it Keyshot and render there (or from within Blender).

jblaze

RRIS, thank you for your reply.
I've followed your advice and downloaded a Quixel rock texture to play around. So far I haven't used texture packages and as you can see from my results I didn't do a good job :).
I would appreciate if you could help me with the texture mapping process and the fine tuning. Attached is the bip file if it's easier to tweak it.
Thank you!

RRIS

I would recommend using a 'color to number' node between each texture and material, so that you can adjust the white/black points per texture. These textures are made for a pbr workflow, you need to make some adjustments to them to make them work properly in Keyshot.
Have a look at this video tutorial by Esben Oxholm, he uses Poliigon texture maps, but the same goes for Quixel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdSYRFUWDRk

Eric Summers

Without looking at your KS scene, I'd hazard a guess that your lighting is fairly even. If that's the case, I would suggest working on a higher contrast environment. That way you can get some deep shadows and brighter highlights.