Ice cubes - displace

Started by jhiker, August 21, 2019, 08:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhiker

Hi,
I am working through the Ice Cubes 'displace' Quick Tip. Even though I follow what seems to be the same procedure I can't get the same result.
The edges of my cubes remain relatively uniform and unaffected as shown in 'Bad#1' whereas they should look like those in the tutorial 'Good#1' - sort of rounded and irregular.

Where might I be going wrong - the 2x cubes were inserted as geometry from the 'Edit' drop-down.

TGS808

Quote from: jhiker on August 21, 2019, 08:53:51 AM
Where might I be going wrong - the 2x cubes were inserted as geometry from the 'Edit' drop-down.

Yep, that's where you're going wrong. When done that way, the cubes have hard 90º edges. The way KS does displacement, that won't work. (I think this may be recognized as bug) Make the cubes in your modeling software and give the edges a fillet. It doesn't have to be a big fillet but it has to be there. With that done, you should be OK.

jhiker

Quote from: TGS808 on August 21, 2019, 09:35:16 AM
Quote from: jhiker on August 21, 2019, 08:53:51 AM

Yep, that's where you're going wrong. When done that way, the cubes have hard 90º edges. The way KS does displacement, that won't work. (I think this may be recognized as bug) Make the cubes in your modeling software and give the edges a fillet. It doesn't have to be a big fillet but it has to be there. With that done, you should be OK.
Thank you!

TGS808