[RESOLVED]Component read error 10001 // Duplicate cached geometry

Started by H4RLYN, September 04, 2019, 06:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4RLYN

Hi, bit of a double whammy here.
Quick run-down:
I use SolidWorks, and the assemblies are imported straight into KeyShot using the SLDASM file it saves as.
When I go to import a file, if I select Accurate Tessellation or Import NURBS Data it returns "Component read error 10001 on component [component]", and the components themselves are not imported with the rest of the model.
The components in question are fasteners from SolidWorks Toolbox, and they seem to be the only things that have this issue.
(And because someone is thinking it: No, I'm not going to not use Toolbox components - it really isn't a viable option for most of my work)

The double-trouble comes in the form of importing it using Cached Geometry instead - Doing this imports everything without error, but now the new problem is that most components have several duplicates of themselves imported with them.
More specifically, Sub-Assemblies always have 1 duplicate of each part within it. If there's a sub-assembly within that sub-assembly (in our case, library components) we now have 2 duplicate parts.
I can't afford to dissolve the sub-assemblies as I need the links for development purposes and likewise I'm not hiding each dupe as there's like 300.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Work-arounds are good enough for me at the moment, but if there's a sure-fire way to just "make it work" then that'd be fantastic.
Thanks

Bruno F

Hello H4RLYN,

Thank you for posting this topic.

I understand that you are unable to import your model into KeyShot and that you are receiving an error message. This means that KeyShot found something unexpected while trying to read your file.

This type of error appears when running older KeyShot versions or if the file contains unsupported features. It is also possible that your current KeyShot plan offers limited CAD file support. Below you will find a troubleshooting guide for errors at import. I suggest a different import method: native file, STEP, or using our plugin.

Import 3D Models Troubleshooting Guide

HaroldL

Quote from: H4RLYN on September 04, 2019, 06:22:26 AM
Hi, bit of a double whammy here.
Quick run-down:
I use SolidWorks, and the assemblies are imported straight into KeyShot using the SLDASM file it saves as.
When I go to import a file, if I select Accurate Tessellation or Import NURBS Data it returns "Component read error 10001 on component [component]", and the components themselves are not imported with the rest of the model.
The components in question are fasteners from SolidWorks Toolbox, and they seem to be the only things that have this issue. ...
Solidworks Toolbox is great for single workstation installations or if ALL workstations are using the same toolbox location. I see something similar at my work when I open a model that someone has used Toolbox to create fasteners for. I will get errors that a different toolbox location is indicated and if accept that location the fastener will not be created in the model since all workstations have Toolbox mapped the the local drive.

My understanding of Toolbox is that it does not save the fasteners in the assembly file, only a pointer/definition of the fastener so it can rebuild it when the assembly is opened in SolidWorks. In Keyshot, when you open the assembly from File>Open or File>Import, you are not going to get any fastener models, only the definitions and KeyShot cannot rebuild them so you get the errors.

I agree with Bruno that you should be using the KeyShot add in for SolidWorks. That way the fasteners will have been created and are in memory with the assembly when you send the assembly to KeyShot. That should eliminate the errors.

Edit:
One more thing you can try. If you want to continue importing the SolidWorks assembly via File>Import then, from within SolidWorks, use Pack and Go to save  out your assembly model to a different folder. In the Pack and Go dialog be sure to select/check the "Use Toolbox Items" (I think that's what it's called) at the top of the dialog before you process the file. That will ensure the fasteners are saved out with the assembly.

H4RLYN

Thanks for the responses.
Regarding Toolbox and multiple workstations; fortunately for me I am the only workstation, so I can check that off. Never realised that's how Toolbox components work either. Strange. But Today I Learned.
I'll take this as cause for the read errors as we'd just upgraded to 8 Pro probably a month ago and this has been an issue for as long as I can remember anyway - Never bothered me initially because we very rarely rendered anything. Then I had some free time going not so long ago and got curious. Went from 1 render every couple of months to me stacking renders for the weekends.

I'll have a good look at these Add-ins because I honestly wasn't even aware of their existence 'til now and hopefully that'll clean that up.

Any thoughts on the duped components of cached imports?
Not that it might matter after I check out the add-in, of course, but cached geometry works great with that single exception and I like just updating a model, hitting Ctrl+S and dragging and dropping straight into my active session in like 2 seconds.

Justin A

Hi H4RLYN,

I wanted to touch base and see if you are still experiencing your issue?

Thanks,
Justin
Luxion Support

H4RLYN

Quote from: Justin A on October 16, 2019, 12:00:20 PM
Hi H4RLYN,

I wanted to touch base and see if you are still experiencing your issue?

Thanks,
Justin
Luxion Support
Hi Justin,

While technically the issue still exists, the SolidWorks add-in pretty much solves it.
Only new issue is more 'adventurous' geometry sometimes 'explodes'. But this has happened very rarely, about once in about 50-ish models. Can't even recreate it, I just update it and it sorts itself. It's a bit of a non-issue and it spices up the workflow.

Justin A

Hi H4RLYN,
Well I am happy it worked itself out.  Keep me posted on the forum if anything else comes up.

Thanks for the update