Can I get this kind of rendering from Keyshot?

Started by abuck, September 19, 2019, 02:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abuck

Howdy peeps and rendering masters.
I want to render a scene like the one attached.
I'm a rendering newbie so any advice on how to achieve something like this would be very much appreciated. The tools I have are keyshot, photoshop, solidworks.

I'm wondering how I would do this. I have a photo of the object (its non-reflective, similar to the vases/ pitchers in the top left of the image). Would I create the table surfaces in Keyshot and then in photoshop insert the photo of the object on the table and match lighting/ shadows. Or should I render the entire thing including the object so the shadows are already in the scene and then replace the rendered object with my photo in photoshop? 

Suggestions, thoughts, and tips would be super appreciated.
Cheers,
abuck

andy.engelkemier

Render the whole thing. You can do it either way, but that would be pretty simple, so would actually save you work.

In this case, you'll want to be sure the table color or texture (if applicable, like wood or a table cloth) are visible to the objects even if they aren't rendered to the camera. For a newbie, that means you actually put a plane in that represents what the object is reflecting, and make it invisible to camera, but the reflections can see it. This way, when you go to photoshop, you get some accuracy.

Even non reflective objects will get irradiance of colors this rich. If your surface is a plane gray or white table? Sure, photoshop away.
BUT, stay away from "stock photos" that have the background you want, and the foreground you want.  Those are Rarely photos. And once you put a product in 3D on them? They look Terrible. Because the perspective is wrong. Those are nearly always orthographic projections, but that is Not what you'll want to render, unless you want your product to look dumb. It's difficult to talk a client out of sometimes, but it's worth it. No no...I'll create the "same" background and render it thank you.

You'll get the same problem perspective matching if the photographer had a fancy camera and shifted the camera back/lens to get straight lines. You can match that...but it's a lot of guesswork.