Velocity or Motion Vector Pass

Started by Eugen Fetsch, October 18, 2019, 03:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eugen Fetsch

This is a special request, but this pass is so crucial to create nice and cheap motion blur in post.
If I render an animation with motion blur, it becomes almost impossible to separate objects from the background using the clown pass for color adjustments or other post production effects. A velocity pass would add the possibility to create a believable motion blur in compositing applications and save tons of render time. 

Will Gibbons

DMerz III

nicordf

DMerz III

Curious, is this a thing in other engines?

mattjgerard

Quote from: DMerz III on February 18, 2020, 11:49:05 AM
Curious, is this a thing in other engines?

Yep, but since KS isn't as popular among motion artists I can see why it has not been a priority yet. With the bettering of the animation side of KS this may come into play more and more. Most other 3rd party render engines have some sort of vector motion pass that can be read into AfterEffects, Frischluft, nuke, Houdini, etc...

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: mattjgerard on February 18, 2020, 01:32:54 PM
Yep, but since KS isn't as popular among motion artists I can see why it has not been a priority yet. With the bettering of the animation side of KS this may come into play more and more. Most other 3rd party render engines have some sort of vector motion pass that can be read into AfterEffects, Frischluft, nuke, Houdini, etc...

What are you doing to my wallet? Never noticed Frischluft before. Nice DOF in post!  :o
It's just a pity that OFX licenses are always more expensive than other versions. ::)

P.S: We still have RSMB to work around the motion pass.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on February 19, 2020, 12:27:26 AM
What are you doing to my wallet? Never noticed Frischluft before. Nice DOF in post!  :o
It's just a pity that OFX licenses are always more expensive than other versions. ::)

P.S: We still have RSMB to work around the motion pass.

Yeah, its pretty nice. Been around a long time and they really have a nice smooth look to it. Plus the name, you can't go wrong sounding smart when you talk about "Frischluft."