Looking for some suggestions to take it up a notch

Started by username, October 06, 2011, 06:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

username

So... To me, the photos attached are not bad per se, they just seem to lack some punch. Is there something noticeably lacking in them? A good background? Better lighting? Free beer?

Thanks!

UN

username

One last picture for your consideration.

PhilippeV8

aebstract

Well, you're trying to sell a product, right? By looking at this I wouldn't know what I'm buying honestly. A hair product, is it hair dye? Usually hair dye isn't in a squirt bottle but it does say "color" on it. Maybe adding something to the scene to correctly let the viewer know what the product is?

username

Quote from: aebstract on October 07, 2011, 05:37:01 AM
Well, you're trying to sell a product, right? By looking at this I wouldn't know what I'm buying honestly. A hair product, is it hair dye? Usually hair dye isn't in a squirt bottle but it does say "color" on it. Maybe adding something to the scene to correctly let the viewer know what the product is?

I don't design the labels. This is the actual Paul Mitchell provided label.

UN

youknowwho4eva

I'd say a background and a surface (table top or whatever) for sure. I like giving a nice textured surface for my items to sit on for them to pick up the colors, and also for shadows. Your renders look good, and like they are in a photoshoot, which a lot of people are a fan of, but I like concept products to look like they are in a real situation. I also like to add prop models. Maybe add a pair of scissors or something?

danclarkwcp

I'm just starting in KS, am coming from a studio photography background. If you want it to look photographic, here are a few suggestions:

-  Something seems wrong with the label/decal, at least in some of your angles. It seems to be stretching horizontally as it gets closer to the right edge, instead of getting compressed.

-  The background has a "dirty" look to me,  which is probably the exact opposite of impression you'd like to give. I'd suggest either the "Apple" look (white plex background, so that you can see a bit of reflection, then blow the rest of the background to white - with your permission, I could show you what that'd look like) or look at  some other hair care product photos, to get some other ideas/inspirations.

-  I don't know how smooth the bottle material is, but I'm wondering if a little bit of texture might help (if that's authentic, of course).

-  The white edges of the very far left and right sides bother me. The bottle might look more rounded if it got a bit darker towards the left and right sides.

- The cap looks really "off", I think because the lighting on it looks so glossy, yet the lighting on the bottle is very flat. Not sure if this is a lighting issue, or materials issue.

My two cents,
Dan