Visual Quality GPU vs CPU render KS9

Started by Mario Stockinger, November 06, 2019, 12:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario Stockinger

I wanted to give some Feedback :

We use stainless steel material (Glass Bead Blasted Stainless steel) -  that was designed for our company by a design studio.

i will add images CPU with 1024 Samples and GPU 1024 / 2048 / 4096 samples. Lightnings settings, camera ect always the same settings.

The GPU Render Speed is very nice (2070ti Super)
The visual quality from the GPU Render compared to the CPU Render is bad.I Don't know what else to say....

Edit : i have addet more Examples with different Sample Settings.

DeekosRSV

Hi... I've just had a quick play and so I have seen NO speed difference between rendering using CPU (i7-8700K) and GPU (Quadro RTX4000)
Could be drivers so will continue to play.
Also denoise doesn't seem to do anything while rendering via GPU

DriesV

Hi Mario,

Is this material using textures?
It is hard to tell what might be going on without having more information about the scene and materials.

Dries

Mario Stockinger

I can send you a ksp file and the material extra  so you can check it if you want.

I used  the settings for product mode, no custom settings.
Resolution was 3840x2999px , save as png with max  samples.

I also noted a warning icon  (only GPU Mode) in the realtime view

Legacy 'Center On" used by Rauschen Fraktal in material edelstahl not supported.
Legacy 'Center On" used by Rauschen Textur in material edelstahl not supported.

DriesV

Quote from: Mario Stockinger on November 06, 2019, 03:10:17 AM
I can send you a ksp file and the material extra  so you can check it if you want.

That would be very helpful.
You can send data securely via our WeTransfer. Send to dries-at-luxion-dot-com.

Dries

DriesV

Hi Mario,

I looked at your scene.
The reason for the discrepancy between CPU and GPU for the stainless steel material is that the Noise textures are using Legacy (pre KeyShot 7) mapping.
If you update the two noise textures by selecting either Model or Part for 'Center On', then the material should look the same in CPU and GPU rendering.

I hope that helps.

Dries

Mario Stockinger

Changing mapping on the textures solved the issue - thx.

One last thing : The screenshots that are rendered with the GPU appear lighter and with less contrast than the images with CPU rendered.

Nothing else was changed in the render settings. I'ss send you two images with wetransfer.