Frosty Rock - With KS9 Fuzz

Started by JimmyToTheBe, November 13, 2019, 06:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyToTheBe

I was wondering if it was of good practice to try and use the Fuzz material for other than fabrics in keyshot. My first thought 'Could it be possible create frost on a surface?'

Turns out I'm getting pretty close. I used Quixels free rock model with all the textures, then applied a plastic transparent material for the Fuzz. After a few alterations It's beginning to look quite close. At the moment I can get it be applied to the whole model but it would be good to just have the frost on the top.

Let me know what you guys think or if any additional thought on refining it for any kind of model?
:)

Paul Lang

Quixel is great! A new release will be coming to allow texturing right on models like substance. As for the frost try taking it further by reducing the density slightly and baking it by exporting the geo and re-importing then apply fuzz again to the strands, should give you little branches. Will be heavy but will get you even closer.

soren

Have a look at the density and length textures you can use to control the placement and density of the Fuzz.

Søren

JimmyToTheBe

Quote from: Søren on November 13, 2019, 11:09:55 AM
Have a look at the density and length textures you can use to control the placement and density of the Fuzz.

Søren

Thanks Søren, I'll take a look at the settings again and make some adjustments to get more control over the density. What I did try to use as the curvature node to only keep the frost to the edges. Which is only just coming through.

JimmyToTheBe

Quote from: Paul Lang on November 13, 2019, 09:40:29 AM
Quixel is great! A new release will be coming to allow texturing right on models like substance. As for the frost try taking it further by reducing the density slightly and baking it by exporting the geo and re-importing then apply fuzz again to the strands, should give you little branches. Will be heavy but will get you even closer.

Ah cool that's good to know. I can see how that would work but like you say might be heavy on the geometry. I might use that idea if i was going to create the fibers in zbrush first.Nice idea though.