What's that plastic?

Started by maciej.lasota, November 17, 2019, 11:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maciej.lasota

Hello,

Does anybody know what material and settings I can use in Keyshot7 to get the effect shown at the right of attached picture?
I have found it on the website:
https://www.yankodesign.com/2014/04/01/get-your-plastic-on-with-keyshot/

Thanks for help!

KeyShot

maciej.lasota

Thanks! Can you suggest what material settings to use? I need to simulate LED backlight placed inside white ABS enclosure with some icons molded on the enclosure surface. I was playing with different material settings, but was not able to get effect like on that picture.
I was looking for .axf file for ABS, but without success...

RRIS

Quote from: maciej.lasota on November 17, 2019, 10:44:47 PM
Thanks! Can you suggest what material settings to use? I need to simulate LED backlight placed inside white ABS enclosure with some icons molded on the enclosure surface. I was playing with different material settings, but was not able to get effect like on that picture.
I was looking for .axf file for ABS, but without success...

Play around with the cloudiness slider, sometimes it's hard to get that effect unless you crank it way up to 0.9 or higher. It's also important that your scene units are realistic, so that you can better judge your transparency distance (so make sure the light can penetrate where your object is at its thickest for a fully translucent effect.

jhiker

I found this in my archives. It's based on an advanced material I believe.
Have a play with it  :)

maciej.lasota

jhiker, thanks a lot :)

Unfortunately I am not able to open that file. There is message "Unsupported version. You need a newer version of KeyShot to open..."
Are you able to save that file as KS7 version? I use "Keyshot for Alibre" bundled with Alibre Design 2017, and KS version 7 is the highest available for me.

Thanks & regards!

TGS808

You can't backwards save for previous versions of KS out of newer versions of KS. So, I opened jhiker's file in KS9 and recreated it in KS7 for you with his same settings. You should be able to open this one.

maciej.lasota

TGS808, thank you very much for you effort and help!
Now I can open the file :)
All the best!

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: TGS808 on November 20, 2019, 05:25:34 PM
You can't backwards save for previous versions of KS out of newer versions of KS.

Not entirely true :) At least from KeyShot 8 you can go to file > Export > Export to KeyShot 6.
I've used that a couple of times with success. Of course, features only available in KeyShot 7 and 8 won't work in the KeyShot 6 version, but otherwise, it works great. Just fyi :)

Jesper Mosegaard

In case you can't find it, the Export to KeyShot 6 is only there if you have set experimental_features to true in the KS9Settings.xml - hence experimental, subject to change and unsupported in general ;)

Regards.
Jesper

TGS808

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on November 21, 2019, 05:32:40 AM
Quote from: TGS808 on November 20, 2019, 05:25:34 PM
You can't backwards save for previous versions of KS out of newer versions of KS.

Not entirely true :) At least from KeyShot 8 you can go to file > Export > Export to KeyShot 6.
I've used that a couple of times with success. Of course, features only available in KeyShot 7 and 8 won't work in the KeyShot 6 version, but otherwise, it works great. Just fyi :)

Thanks, Esben. :) I had seen someone else mention this before but I couldn't see how and just assumed they might have been incorrect. In this case he needed the cloudy plastics of KS7 so going back to KS6 wouldn't have helped. Good to know either way though.

TGS808

Quote from: Jesper Mosegaard on November 21, 2019, 06:03:04 AM
In case you can't find it, the Export to KeyShot 6 is only there if you have set experimental_features to true in the KS9Settings.xml - hence experimental, subject to change and unsupported in general ;)

Regards.
Jesper

...and that explains why I couldn't find it.  ;D I don't have those turned on.