Game controller - Keyshot animation reel

Started by Roshan Hakkim, January 02, 2020, 05:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roshan Hakkim

Hi all!

Happy new year first of all! Hope you have a rocking one!

I had rendered few shots for the VR sketching video I had made few days ago for a game controller. Thought I should just re render them HD and pulled them along together with a beat. Definitely not a storyboarded animation but more of an exploration for a future project which is coming our way. :)

Regarding the tools I used the list is quite short: :)
Sketched in Gravity sketch with Oculus Quest
Rendered in Keyshot 9
Edited in Premiere Pro

Curious to hear your thoughts as this is my first animation post here in the forums.

Some renders to go along as a bonus, :)

Eugen Fetsch

Well done animation. Thumbs up.
Few (subjective) remarks:
- I'm not a big fan of ease-in to ease-out camera animations. IMO the first 3 shots would benefit from hard cuts in or out.
- Few more samples would be nice too. The denoiser is too obvious.
- The LED would benefit from some glow too. Mask them with the clown pass and add some exponential glow in post.
Except of this, pretty neat. ;)
Can you tell some numbers, time spent on the project, render times and iterations?

Cheers.

Roshan Hakkim

Thanks a lot Eugen. Thats the kind of feedback I am looking forward to raise the quality next time.

Completely agree on the point that bezier animations can be seen as old school. I think I had a self realisation of that while rendering the the four cuts at the end. As I thought its more versatile to render them linear and then control timing and dynamics in post.
I have used denier only in one shot and I wasn't happy with the result. So I better have a good reason if I am going to use it again.
Well, my post skills are not there yet to edit glows. But now that you said it next animation I set out to do I am going tot ry it out. Checking for tutorials right now on that.

Render times for each video was about 6-7 hours. It could be because I am using physical lights that it ended up being noisy. Samples in some video were 200. One of the close up shots had 400. But except those two shots the others ranged from 80 - 200 samples. Time for the whole project was about 3 days including renders, sketching it, editing the sketching video for youtube etc. Couldn't really recollect the time on keyshot as all this was more of a try out. But glad I did that because with your feedback I am more curious to learn things another way.

Cheers!

Eugen Fetsch

Thanks for sharing the details. Well well done for 3 days.

Regarding the "bezier" animations - I didn't mean they are bad. Just the standard ease-in together with the standard ease-out animation (in the same shot) may be "boring"   :-\.
KS9 has custom animation curves to give the standard "ease" a more interesting shape... 

Roshan Hakkim

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on January 03, 2020, 11:51:20 AM
Thanks for sharing the details. Well well done for 3 days.

Regarding the "bezier" animations - I didn't mean they are bad. Just the standard ease-in together with the standard ease-out animation (in the same shot) may be "boring"   :-\.
KS9 has custom animation curves to give the standard "ease" a more interesting shape... 

Hey Eugen. Thanks a million for this post. Now that I look back at this post I guess I didnt know the custom animation curves back then. lol.

But here is a more recent one.

Love the simplicity of the overview which you have shared!

Eugen Fetsch

Glad it was helpful ;)
The new animation looks cool - the closing part is on point. I would suggest to smooth the "opening" curve a little bit more, so it don't has a clear "break" in the middle.

Pay attention to the tool set marked in red. It allows to switch key frame handles from linear to bezier and back.

Looking forward to see more of your animations.

Cheers