Main Menu

Transmission Renders

Started by caden2010, October 18, 2011, 01:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caden2010

Here is a rendering of one of the transmissions we have been working on during last year.

This image shows the prototype transmission for the new Aventador, the next generation supercar from Lamborghini, it is a 7-speed automated manual transmission (AMT). All casings were CNC machined from solid although now the cast casing version is completed (can't show that one yet!)

Hope you like it!

Please feel free to pass back any comments regarding possible improvements I can make to improve the image.

This was modelled using Pro-E Wildfire 4 and then rendered in KeyShot using the HDR LightStudio plug-in.

Hope fully as time/permission allows I will be able to post some more images.

Stuart.

Tim

Nice work, the model is awesome.

guest84672

Love the model! I like the image, maybe a bit much with the ground reflections but overall a "keeper in my book" as Tim Feher would say.

Josh3D

Very nice Caden. The cutaway is impressive.

PhilippeV8

Agree with Thomas.

Only the metal outside of the housing might need a little bump-map or such to give it a bit more texture.

caden2010

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

I don't normally include ground reflections but thought I would have a go. I think maybe in future I will not include them.

Regarding the casings these were actually CNC machined for the prototype and look similar to the image posted. However your comments about surface texture are spot on. A textured casing does look much more realistic. I will post the 'finished' version later. This has cast casings.

Stuart

PhilippeV8

I was thinking the exact same thing when posting that.  Even if it's not a cast-iron casing ... it does look so much better with the texture ;)
http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=2531.0

As for the reflective underground ... have a look at the recent post from feher ... I think this kind of reflection is nice... might work.
http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=2549.0

I know feher is probably king on this type of renders and material re-creation ... but his work should be a good source of inspiration for you !

caden2010

Thanks for the comments Phillippe. I think you are correct.

The links you sent, particularly of Tim's work are a real inspiration. His latest renders of the V10 are excellent. I need more time and practice.

I like the ground surface you mentioned also. When time allows I will have another go.

KeyShot

Beautiful model and rendering! It would be great to see this animated in KeyShot 3 :-)

-- Henrik

Ed

Well if I ever win the Lottery and buy a Lamborghini Aventador, I'll know what the transmission looks like  ;D

Great render.

Ed

caden2010

Hi Henrik,

I have already put my order in for animation! (when it becomes available). There are quite a few of our transmissions that we would like to animate.

By the way, I was most impressed with the recent webinar showing KeyShot 3. I'm so pleased that I decided to go the KeyShot route when my maintenance came up for renewal!!!

KeyShot is definitely moving in the right direction. Keep it up.

KeyShot

Thanks Stuart! We are happy to be working with you as well.

slyer

Very good model & render !!!

caden2010

Hi there,

Following on from you suggestions and comments (thank you) I have had another try. I have tweaked a couple of things that I was not happy with, adjusted the casing colour/roughness a little, removed the reflections and lightened the background. I am much happier with this result than the last but as always your comments are welcome.

(Note:- I can't change to 'cast' as the casing was inported as just one colour from Pro-E and to change this will take too much time!)

Stuart

PhilippeV8

I was just thinking that eventhough I can now see inside a transmission .. I still don't understand at all how these things work  :D

Good improvement !