Clown pass - one color?

Started by djnoone, February 17, 2020, 05:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djnoone

I have a scene set up from C4D, the materials are not imported from CD4, most of thema are PBR, some labels are applied (golden lines)
When render out a Clown pass every geometry of the scene is colored in the same color.
Do you have idea how to get around this?

First i thought that all objects are treated as one type, because the scene from C4D is exported in a null group, but even when i remove them from the group the objects are still one color in Clown pass.

richardfunnell

The clown pass output is driven by linked/un-linked materials, not discrete geometry. If your scene shares a linked material across multiple parts, then they will show up as the same color in the clown pass. Un-linking materials should give you more individual colors in the clown pass.

djnoone

Some of them are, most of them are not linked.
The cubes are one material.
The forward "Mountain" is another, the background "mountains" are another unlinked and changed material.
The ground is separate material.
Nonetheless everything renders in red in "clown".

andy.engelkemier

I get this Fairly often. It's Very annoying. Two different materials, with the same color often end up being the same color. It's a completely different material, but the clown mask is useless.
I haven't found a good solution. But an idea I just thought of to cheat would be to add a completely transparent label on each model you want to be different. You can include labels in clown masks. I don't think it takes transparency into consideration. So you could put bright green, bright red, etc and since they are so different, they Should choose a different color in the clown mask......maybe. Just an idea to fool keyshot into doing what you want it to do instead of doing the automatic things that only work sometimes.

DMerz III

Two options that have worked for me in the past;

Process One - more control - more effort;
It is a bit of a PITA to setup -  duplicate the modelset - unlink all the materials - make them all FLAT shaders, open up the color library and just drag and drop a bunch of different colors. Less ideal if you have a bunch of geometry to work through, but when the clown pass fails and you 'gotta' have it, we do it, render as a separate pass low samples - should go pretty fast.

Option 2 - less 'control'
Render with a 'diffuse' pass - a lot of the times, this works just as well as a clown just inheirting the diffuse color of an object. Sometimes when paired with a clown - I can find enough 'overlapping differences'. Won't work as well if you're dealing with a lot of transparent materials as those don't have a diffuse color.