denoise AND noisy in one shot?

Started by andy.engelkemier, February 19, 2020, 06:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

So I'm doing some 7k renders and denoise helps a lot.....in Some spots. I wish I could tell it to take bump maps into consideration, but that's not showing in the end normal map results. So it Murders things like tight brushed metal, and mold tech sized textures everywhere the lighting is not too contrasty.
But it's an absolute godsend when you render something like cloudy plastic or anything really diffused, but also reflective.

My render files are already 700 MB or so inluding the clown pass in the PSD. (I guess keyshot saves PSD file with No compression at all)
So I don't have the hard drive space to render at a really high bit depth, which means RAW isn't great. Although, I've never really understood keyshot's gamma settings. Default setting is 2.0? So maybe I need some explanation with that first. The photographic image style doesn't even Show gamma? Importing colors, it should use the inverse of the gamma for color correction, which is a checkbox in preferences. But,....what if you change the gamma settings?

Anyway, so I can't figure out how to get RAW looking right in an 8 bit setting. So is there a way to get the Denoised image AND the noised image in one shot? I mean, the denoise is a post process. So I'd Love to NOT have to render the image Twice to get that.

Any help? Or should this go into a feature request (along with saving PSDs with the normal zip compression so they aren't Insane sizes, and yes I know my renders will be an extra 15 seconds longer, which I am Fine with)

KeyShot

The raw image is intended for this purpose. If you do not want to deal with gamma correction - or if you have other image output effects (tone mapping, color mapping, bloom etc.) enabled then a simple trick is to add the raw image as a backplate in the scene and remove all geometry, so it will get processed with the same effects.

INNEO_MWo

mafrieger

if you're thinking in this field maybe you also like
these wishlist topic and vote for it:
- Noise layer/pass https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=25276.0
- Live-Preview: Comparison Slider for all applied post-rendering effects https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=25277.0

:)

andy.engelkemier

Ah, but the raw image is intended to be rendered as 32 bit. But if you render as 8bit psd add to psd, then it puts it in as an 8bit layer. The data is then ruined so you can't get the data back. If you're going to flatten the raw image, please apply the same effects.

Applying the gamma in photoshop is much faster than the trick. But it's a good trick. I appreciate the knowledge of doing it another way. But PSD actions are pretty slick. I can run them all and go get a coffee.