Rendering time, General behavior

Started by jimpulse, October 18, 2011, 12:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimpulse

New user here...

I know that final renderings may take a long time but, when I first loaded Keyshot it really seemed to render more quickly than now.

A couple of things give me reason to question what is going on.  Toggling in and out of performance mode FPS seems to often settle in (after 10 seconds or so) to a value that is quite variable...from as low as .1  to a max of about 9.3.   The value doesnt see to care which mode it is in.

You all might be laughing since I am talking about seconds when the reality might be that a final render may take hours. If so, sorry about that. I seem to recall getting much more finished images after less than an hour with some models that I believe to be much more intensive than camer.bip

What is giving me the concern most is watching CPU usage in Task manager.  During  the initial rendering the Keyshot CPU usage spikes to 99% then hits a couple of intermediate values on its way to 00% this only takes about 5 seconds. after that the usage remains at 00% it will occaisionally  bump up to 01% for Keyshot. There is no apparent upgrade in the image though I have not let it run for hours as of yet.  My onscreen image at this  point has yet to approach the quality of the camera.bip jpeg that is posted in the benchmark section.

I've looked at the benchmarks and some of the lower perfomance machines seem to match mine somewhat.
Running XP Pro (32bit) Core 2 Duo E8400, 4 Gig with a 1 Gig Nvidia card using camera.bip as a test image

Is this typical behavior?

How does one know when the image is final?

After the inital posting of the FPS, will it update sometime during a multi hour render?

Thanks for any insight

version 2.3.2

JeffM

The CPU usage dropping to 0 is very strange. Do you have the "idle time in seconds before pausing..." setting in the preferences set to some value other than 0?

If so, that will pause the rendering and would explain the behavior. Change it to 0 to allow it to render indefinitely./

Is that it?

jimpulse

JeffM ...Yes that appears to be it.
My interpretation of this parameter was it is the amount of time that the rendering engine would wait after a rotate, pan or other change requiring regen, before starting to render. I'll be quick to admit that I did not read more than every other word of the instructions for most commands....ya get old and you grow impatient.

after 5 minutes the render looks good, and the FPS is updating every 1/2 seconds between 15.3 & 16.4

thanks,   
jimpulse