Strange Reflections in Metal Object

Started by jennieelectrix, February 27, 2020, 01:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jennieelectrix

Hi,
I'm currently rendering a model set-up of some stainless steel products that we sell, and I'm getting these strange wavy reflections in the final render (attached).
The problem I have is that when I'm on KeyShot these reflections aren't appearing, they're only in the final render, and with the products being metal I don't want to fiddle around with the lighting (somewhat blindly) as it could potentially knock the reflections on the rest of the model.
Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Thanks  :)

RRIS

In addition to that, if you look at the holes in the top surface, some of the cuts appear much darker than the others...

Do you have rounded edges enabled on this object? Any different results if you retriangulate the object?

jennieelectrix

There isn't any round edges, and it's not just on that object - any object placed the same way is getting the same result.

The model is of cable tray so the holes are actually below the walls that are shown on the screenshot, so I don't see how it could be reflections from them.

jhiker

Are they still there if you raise the tray off the ground plane a tad?

INNEO_MWo

If you add a ground plane and activate the clip geometry option in the ground material, would it help?

jennieelectrix

Quote from: jhiker on February 28, 2020, 12:26:16 AM
Are they still there if you raise the tray off the ground plane a tad?

They are, also because of the lighting set up, this also creates a shadow that makes it a bit more obvious that the tray is lifted off of the ground.

jennieelectrix

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on February 28, 2020, 12:21:59 PM
If you add a ground plane and activate the clip geometry option in the ground material, would it help?

I'm currently trying this however adding the ground plane has massively increased the rendering time and has also thrown off the lighting a bit - I'm hoping it may work though so I can then adjust the ground plane material appropriately. My Keyshot skills are very basic so I imagine there is some obvious easy fix that I'm just not aware of.

EDIT: The render finished and this seems to have gotten rid of the strange reflection, so now just to fiddle with the lighting! Many thanks  :)