Real cloth applied to object with large radi

Started by chevisw, March 09, 2020, 06:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevisw

I am trying to apply real cloth to a solid that is intended to be fabric on a speaker cover. But i cant seem to figure out how to get the material properly applied to the large radius.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

chevisw

One additional question. i am trying to have a light on the inside of the speaker that illuminates through the cloth. any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Don Cheke

Quote from: chevisw on March 09, 2020, 06:56:12 AM
I am trying to apply real cloth to a solid that is intended to be fabric on a speaker cover. But i cant seem to figure out how to get the material properly applied to the large radius.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

My limited knowledge suggests that you split off the front top and radii and then use unwrap UV (KeyShot 9 feature) and manipulate the seams and rotation. You'll have to better than my example shows because all three patterns will need to link nicely. Although mine are rotated correctly, the pattern is off at the seams because the colored grid pattern is not lined up nicely. The tools is somewhat primitive at this point because you have to nail it right off the bat as you cannot go back and edit if you need to make tweaks. I think someone named Will showed an experimental video on this.  It was nice to see that it gave him some trouble and it was not my lack of experience that was in question. At any rate, it is worth a watch.

Here is the link. It is long but worth it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va-2932p6JA

puyopuyo

One suggestion, you dont need the two red horzontal seam lines. Leaving them out will result in one continious flow of the pattern without seams.

Berube

Hola.

Everything above is all good information.
Here are some additional details about the UV mapping process and how to connect the remaining seems.

Note that once all UV tiles are sewn together like in the images attached bellow, you can still scale the UV edges to spread or compress certain areas in the case you see stretching or compression anywhere. When doing so, using tools like soft selection can help maintain some of the initial relaxed state...

Hope this helps!

-Berube
www.johnberube.com