Started by germannick, March 13, 2020, 03:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germannick

Fun concept for a trade show poster

designgestalt

hey germannick,
I like it!
just a few "tipps" from my side:
The top part is too shiny ! especially compared with the bottom part, which has that "worn out" look!
I would go for a more diffuse lighting situation. the product will integrate much nicer with the rest of the scene. If you take a look at the ventilation slots at the top part, there are very sharp shadows. In nature you would only have that right underneath a street lamp ...
I would "dim" the light towards the right part of the box. it seems like you have some indirect light coming from the front!
I also do not exactly understand the color splashes on the handle, they seem to glow...
yet the texture of the main body right behind the handle is really great!

cheers
designgestalt

germannick

Hi designgestalt,
thank you for your great input. I greatly appreciate it, especially when it comes from a pro. 
Here were my thoughts but I guess I couldn't visually convey them properly. I was going for the night streetlight situation, meaning there is a IES light shining down from the top left and an image pin added as a fill light from the front. The reflection in the handle is a wet night street scene. Also note the water puddles on the floor to complete the idea.  I made a test print to see how the colors and details look under trade show lighting and in true size of nearly 2,5 x 2meters and it is gettering there. Nonetheless, I will take your suggestions and soften the light and reduce the street scene reflection in the large handle shot.
Once again, thank you for your trained perception and suggestions.

designgestalt

hello germannick,
thanks a lot for your kind words...
I went to bed yesterday with a blush of shame  ;D 8)
ok, now I understand the scene much better, IT IS an artificial lighting ... !!!
Yet as you said, it is a bit hard to read... maybe it helps to "vignette" the right part of the picture out, so you have more the impression of a night scene!
also a bit of condensation on the handle shot might help to read it as wet... as it is a face frontal perspective you might get away with just a water splash bumpmap.
and yes, you are definetely right: it always DOES look different when printed out on a large scale!
maybe you know, I work as a designer for sports equipment and it still catches me every year on the ISPO trade show, when the renderings I had only seen on screen suddenly face me on a 4x4meter print ....
so the print should be your benchmark , not the screen ... 

cheers
designgestalt

Eric Summers

Perhaps you could add some scattering medium to help emphasize the streetlight. It would help the cone of light stand out and since you are using an IES light it would have a nice shape to it. Another option for condensation on the handle could be using spherical flakes with a water material. I really like the reflections on the handle, especially the variety of colors. Also, nice touch adding your name in graffiti. ;)