Product Positioning

Started by Yabusa, March 16, 2020, 05:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yabusa

Hi there,
I'm doing multiple product renders, and I want a consistent view, so when all the products are laid out beside each other, they fill the same space, with start and end points extending out of the render to be on the same level.
I've attached an example. I tried playing with the distance of the two Keyshot files, but they were way out of whack. I'm not sure because one part is larger than another in dimensions, or what the issue was.
Any advice on how I can set Keyshot up to have professional, consistent renders?
Thanks in advance :)

designgestalt

hello Yabusa,

excuse my ignorance, but I did not yet understand your problem...
as you are declared as a "Newbie" in the forum I am not sure, how new you are to the program,so let me please ask this question:
are you familiar with the Modelsets?
because if you activate different Modelsets at a time, you can see all its content at the same time. this way, you could arrange your parts, so that they all have the same orientation.
Or you can put all your parts in one big Modelset, get them orientated and then copy each part to his own Modelset!
would that help you?

cheers
designgestalt

Yabusa

I was trying to understand model sets googling online, but I don't think I understand their purpose.
Is it to have multiple items with the same camera view? Or to save different camera angles of the same model?
I'm trying to use different models of different sizes to be angled the same way, with the camera at the same distance and angle and inclination. I tried applying the same numbers in two different .bip files, but the distance was very strange.
Can I make model sets of different objects?
For example, can I have a tennis ball in one model set, then a racket in the other? And how I rotate the camera will apply to both?
The way I saw it used on youtube and keyshot's instructions is to save different camera angles of the same object...but there's camera views for that, so I don't think they were using it correctly.

HaroldL

Yabusa,From the images you uploaded it appears that the only thing that will change is the sectioned end piece. Is that correct?
If that is the case the workflow I would use is:

• Import all the models into the Default model set and stack them on top of one another so the shafts with the flat groove are all aligned.
  • Then RMB click in the Realtime view and select Center and Fit Models from the pop-up menu.
  • On the Camera tab create a new camera and adjust it to the view you want then LOCK the camera.
  • Back on the Scene tab create a new Model Set for each model.
  • Finally create a Studio for each model using its model set and the Locked camera.
This is pretty much the method I used where I just retired from to render out 66 models of electrical enclosures.  The only thing I did different was to create a camera for each enclosure with their own Center and Fit Model setting to fill the Realtime view because each one was a different size but still needed to fill the view. I managed to keep the camera azimuth and inclination the same though.
Harold

Yabusa

I played around with Model Sets as I awaited your reply. I made two model sets, each with the different models.
Then I had an issue they weren't aligned, as I got thinking, maybe I'll eyeball the translation in position. I did so, but is there a more accurate way to align different sized models in KeyShot? Like mating in CAD software?

Following your method, how would you stack using a specific face/part as the reference?

Yabusa

Because of the size difference, I decided to scale the smaller one up to match the other one. That was the main issue with them looking so different I found out. Worked out :)
But I'm interested in your method.
And why stack all them on Default instead of each their own only?

HaroldL

What I would do is align the models to a common feature like an end of the main shaft and the central axis.  Using the Move Tool you should be able to get reasonably close alignment. I don't think I would change the scale of any of them unless I changed it back after aligning them.

The stacking and alignment is done in the Default model set because that is the only place they can all be viewed together and stacked up. Once they are put into their individual model sets you won't have any reference to align to.
IF you have access to the CAD application you could align or Mate the models in the CAD application as an assembly. Then in KeyShot separate them out to their own model sets.
I am uploading a simple KS 9.1.98 Package file that may illustrate my method. Once it is opened, cycle through the studios and notice that the only change will be on the end pieces installed. The main shafts are aligned so they remain fixed. Also notice in the Default Model set how the models were aligned prior to creating the separate model sets.

If you want each model to fill the view then each model set will need its own camera to be added to the studio.

Harold

Yabusa

Wow, thanks for that! yeah, that's exactly what I want. Just one thing I don't understand one thing still.
How do you align/stack the two parts/models? I tried moving it and realigning it, but I can't figure it out, and can't find answers online

HaroldL

You need to use the Move Tool at the bottom of the Scene tree. Select the model you wish to  move then, on screen, use the handles of the tool to position the model.
I made a short screen recording of the process. NOTE that I was in the Default Model Set when I aligned the models. It is only AFTER I align the models that I created the individual model sets.

Yabusa

Oooooh, okay, that's what I had used. I thought you meant there was a way to Snap faces/parts to align automatically, like mating in CAD softwares.
Perfect, you've been awesome help :)
Thank you HaroldL :)

HaroldL

Quote from: Yabusa on March 21, 2020, 11:16:41 AM
Oooooh, okay, that's what I had used. I thought you meant there was a way to Snap faces/parts to align automatically, like mating in CAD softwares.
Perfect, you've been awesome help :)
Thank you HaroldL :)
Glad to have been able to help.
Like I mentioned before, if you can put all your models in the CAD program you can use Mates to align them as needed before sending them to KeyShot.