Can you output backplate as a PSD layer in Keyshot?

Started by yshentu, April 07, 2020, 01:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yshentu

I got a request from my graphics designer who wants to have a product render with/without a premade backdrop image, I'm thinking of using the backdrop as a backplate and output the rendering as PSD so they can just turn on/off the backdrop layer. But I couldn't figure out how to do it. Searched online and got no result...

Is it even achievable in Keyshot? Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

INNEO_MWo

I don't understand this request. You already have the backplate image, that on one hand can be used as a backplate in the scene and on the other hand you can use it as a layer in post.
And you can map it as a texture on a backdrop ramp. Then with model sets, you can render with the same camera looking on the isolated backdrop ramp and render a second model set without the backdrop ramp. Now you can compose in post.
Also a huge flat surface placed normal to the camera with a flat material and the "backplate" as texture mapped, would work as well.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

P.S. written on a mobile

yshentu

Hi, INNEO_MWo, thanks for the reply!

In the scene there's a transparent container, the graphics team wants a colored backdrop to show through but they also need to post in some vegetables inside the container, so ideally the transparent container itself will have some transparency and the graphics guy can post in the veggies between the product layer and the backdrop layer.

But as of now, whether I'm rendering with or without the backdrop, the area inside the container will always block the layer beneath it. I can't figure out a way for the container to be "transparent" or have some alpha channel, so when you move it around, the image below shows through. And I don't know if that's possible.

I'm not too familiar with the Photoshop process so please bear with me if I'm making some obvious mistake.

INNEO_MWo

Hey yshentu.

You can render the container with the transparency using the backplate image in KeyShot. Render the PSD with the alpha channel and the graphic team can use the same image as a background layer. But the material type of the container part(s) has to be glass (no solid glass, or dielectric or transparent plastic) because this is the only material rendering with an "alpha channel".

Attached you'll see a simple example.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco