Bad reflection on gold and shiny silver

Started by DEVS, April 14, 2020, 02:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEVS

Hi all,
how can i solve this hand reflex problem on the ring surface?

metal: withe gold 18kt or silver polished

(the image is attached)

thanks all

DEVS

DMerz III

It's got to do with the 'family of angles'. If you were to take a ray and shoot it from the camera's point of view, and bounce off that ring, it would shoot straight into those fingers, which is exactly what you're seeing here. The reflections are there, they're just reflecting the fingers. If you turn the hand geometry off, I bet it changes quite a bit, right?

DEVS

Quote from: DMerz III on April 14, 2020, 02:36:21 PM
It's got to do with the 'family of angles'. If you were to take a ray and shoot it from the camera's point of view, and bounce off that ring, it would shoot straight into those fingers, which is exactly what you're seeing here. The reflections are there, they're just reflecting the fingers. If you turn the hand geometry off, I bet it changes quite a bit, right?

Hi DMerz, thanks for help.

how can I change the geometry of the ring?

The Ring and the hand are one single element (one rhinoceros file)

DMerz III

Hmm - if you look in your scene tree - is the model broken up into separate parts? It must be if you can have the ring as a separate material. In order to change the geometry of your ring, that would require you to use a separate modeling/3d/cad program, in this case - probably Rhino or another NURBs modeler like Moment of Inspiration. That's a bit of a different challenge that what I can help you out with on here though.

Going back to the original suggestion, check out the scene tree - try turning off the parts until you get the hand to not be visible.

INNEO_MWo

If you activate the experimental features (in your ks?settings.xml) you can work with the ray mask utility (since KeyShot 7). If you plug it into the opacity channel of the hand model, it would not be reflected in the ring model.

In my attached screenshot is no reflection of the yellow part. But your scene can look strange and unrealistic without the reflections?!

Hope that helps
Cheers
Marco

DEVS

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on April 15, 2020, 11:05:39 PM
If you activate the experimental features (in your ks?settings.xml) you can work with the ray mask utility (since KeyShot 7). If you plug it into the opacity channel of the hand model, it would not be reflected in the ring model.

In my attached screenshot is no reflection of the yellow part. But your scene can look strange and unrealistic without the reflections?!

Hope that helps
Cheers
Marco

I have tried to find a way not to give reflection to the hand, but I have not succeeded.
If I add color mask, the hand becomes slightly transparent, but the reflection remains.

Thanks for help

DEVS

This is a rendering with Matrix 9(v-ray).

I want to achieve this result, but with the beautiful metal reflections as seen in keyshot