import keyshot Single model set

Started by andy.engelkemier, April 15, 2020, 05:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I use lots of model sets. One or two of them is usually a prop. Say I need the same coffee mug in this scene as the previous scene.
The shortest way to do that Could be import keyshot file. Choose which model sets to import. Import.

But right now, you either import all the model sets, or modify your original file and save that (that's not the way to go as it takes more time)

It would be a pretty nice thing to have for a few of us. If it's not too hard, it would be killer.

DriesV

I can see how this would be useful.
It would not be completely straightforward to add though, as it would require polling the BIP file before presenting the import dialog.

Have you considered using the Models Library (introduced in KeyShot 9) for creating and managing props?
It allows you to add KeyShot scenes with selected Model Sets straight to the Library. Once created, these assets can be drag-and-dropped into any KeyShot scene.

Dries

andy.engelkemier

I haven't really considered it. But I haven't looked at it much. But if I have to do a similar process in order to create the model, then it doesn't really help.
In this case it's invisible toast. Took photography, but needed reflections on the top of the toaster. So I quick made a rough model in blender (ended up looking Almost good enough to just use in the render) and imported that in. Apply emissive material with my camera projection mapped object, and works perfectly to just give me reflections. But I have two more projects I need to use it in. And I'll likely never use it again.

And that's often how it is. I had to pull an espresso cup from something I made a year ago. But I don't want to spend time adding to a library I won't use. And in a years time, I needed to make some changes based on new things I learned.

I'll take a look closer, but I don't see myself using it.

INNEO_MWo

In cases like this, I would open the scene with the import parts and use the save active model set feature - or save a copy from this scene, open it separately and delete unwanted parts, merge the structure and name the model set right. Then it should be ready to be imported in the other scene.

Eugen Fetsch

+1 for that.

What Andy is asking for, is a very handy feature in Blender. Don't know if any other software has something similar. It allows to see the full file structure (objects, meshes, collections, materials, cameras, textures, scenes, lights, etc.) before the import.

How it works in Blender: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rypC0KM6gs

andy.engelkemier

Yes, blender does an excellent job of that. 3dsMax is pretty similar, only Just for the model tree.