Multi-Layer Optics Practice

Started by DMerz III, April 24, 2020, 02:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

I began this as a self-learning lesson in understanding Multi-Layer Optics shader - still have a lot left to learn, but pretty happy with my first stab with it.
This shader is a doozy to wrap my head around - so technical!

*Wasn't sure if this was enough of an 'animation' to go into the Animation thread* - I mostly animated it slightly just to demonstrate how wildly these colors flip with small movement.

KeyShot

Multi-layer optics is indeed a complex shader, but once you know how to control it you can call yourself a master of lighting :) It is actually used by quite a few companies, who need an accurate representation of complex layered materials - and it has been validated against physical products. "All" you need to know is the physical layout of an actual layered material.

DMerz III

Thanks, Henrik!

I figured as much - I learned a lot by looking at the 'stock' materials which were packaged in KS9 for MLO - then tried to tweak from there to understand what was doing what. My #s were all just made up - I couldn't find any 'source' online that had #s I could pull from. I'm sure there's probably a reason for that!