Main Menu

Stereoscopic settings

Started by Richman, April 27, 2010, 10:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richman

Stereoscopic settings  

I would like to make 2 renders from a specified length apart to create stereoscopic renders.  (2 renders not at the same time)  I just need to be able to input the camera move left or right precisely.   Focusing the two camera on a point would help also...

Richman

I'm very close to making this happen... just waiting for the Sketchup plugin.   Keyshot could integrate this very easily allowing for stereoscopic renders on all those new 3D TVs coming out! 

jbeau

+1 here. I see a demand coming.

KeyShot

I think we can add support for this. I assume a check box to enable it and then a horizontal shift parameter would be all that is needed? How should the horizontal distance be given? Just a world space number or would you want to have the ability to adjust the shift in realtime for two cameras and instead specify two cameras to use for this feature?

-- Henrik

Richman

"I think we can add support for this. I assume a check box to enable it and then a horizontal shift parameter would be all that is needed?"

Yes,  That would get the ball rolling.  

The two camera angles might need to converge at some point in the scene, just like the humans eyes do. (pick a focal point just like the depth of field.  The DOF and stereoscopic "pick focal point" could be combined into one user action) The convergence of the 2 cameras is what made the movie Avatar a first ever in film and feel more natural to human sight and depth of field.

"How should the horizontal distance be given?"

A numerical value slider, like all other keyshot options.  Very precise small increments.  Default to average human eye distance.  Users will want to play with this value.

"Just a world space number or would you want to have the ability to adjust the shift in realtime for two cameras and instead specify two cameras to use for this feature?"

I think you could work with one center realtime window and check the option to render L&R images.  Maybe have 3 live windows  Left, Center and Right? Just like that in a row.  or just a L&R live view.  I'm not sure yet, but this could be a very cool UI potentially.    Toggling Left and Right camera back and forth over one another would be fantastic.  (set a camera LR flip rate and manually flip back and forth).

If 2 live camera shots did this.  I think users could build the scenes they wanted without viewing the output and use our standard monitors.

http://www.blueswami.com/wiggle_stereoscopy.html
http://www.well.com/user/jimg/stereo/stereo_gate.html
http://www.well.com/user/jimg/stereo/stereo_plunge.html

-The back plate will need some shift control or set to infinity, by appearing the same in all cameras.

JohnnyF

+1

Also perhaps the ability to show image as stereoscopic in realtime, much like what showcase does now, we used it recently in a 'CAVE' system and were able to show clients the product in 3d and pan round it in real time without having to render out - this would look amazing in keyshot as obviously the renders are much better quality! :P