Change highlight color when working with Orange objects?

Started by Aeonjoey, June 16, 2020, 05:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeonjoey

I've found other posts about this from several years ago, but didn't see a solution. I am working with hundreds of Orange products, I can't ever tell what I'm selecting, it's become really annoying.

Is there any way to change the highlight color to something else? I'll even edit a file to change a hex value if someone knows where to look lol.

andy.engelkemier

This doesn't answer your question, but if you hit O you can go into object mode and view everything as gray. That'll help until someone answers the question (if there is an answer).

Another option is, if all the orange materials are the same material, to use a multimaterial. Have a second material in there that isn't orange and you can flip back and forth.

Aeonjoey

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on June 18, 2020, 10:41:24 AM
This doesn't answer your question, but if you hit O you can go into object mode and view everything as gray. That'll help until someone answers the question (if there is an answer).

Another option is, if all the orange materials are the same material, to use a multimaterial. Have a second material in there that isn't orange and you can flip back and forth.

Thanks for the suggestions! unfortunately, geometry view isn't the best since it's viewing modes don't let you see anything going on with lighting in the scene; but trying the different modes would help someone who might also have the issue!

I've actually come to at first LOVE multi-material, and now I can't use them because of all of the problems we have with them. (we up multiple multi-materials using Studios with the toggles selected, when the .BIP from a .KSP is opened on another user's workstation everything works fine until they render and then random choices of multimaterials appear in the final results when sent to network rendering.) anywho it's a viable workaround though, just gotta remember to delete the extra multi-setting, Thanks!!!!

andy.engelkemier

I was thinking more using geometry view in Conjunction with the rendered view. So geometry view to see the selection only. I usually use the geometry view to move things because there is less lag. In a complex scene, if you move something in rendered view, it's difficult to have more precise control. In geometry view, the mesh seems all messed up, depending on view distance, but you benefit by being able to do some actions you just Can't in rendered view. Like, move the camera with a move tool. Or select something that's behind a camera.

And yes, multi-material has Definitely been buggy as hell lately. I have yet to determine any consistency in when things happen, so have nothing to report, yet.

Aeonjoey

Thanks again for this suggestion, I ended up doing this and having the windows side-by-side for a while and it comes in handy with laggy/complex scenes.
With those orange projects I just gave in and set up a proxy material with the original color swatch saved to the swatch pallet so i could quickly reset everything back to orange before rendering ^_^

mafrieger

hmm just a simple new setting to change default orange to any hex would solve it.. example #eb34cf

DriesV

Hi,

I can see how the orange outlines are frustrating when dealing with orange products. :-)
I have logged an improvement request for being able to specify a custom selection outline color in the preferences.
No ETA yet, but this should be very easy to implement.

Dries