Geometry / Displacement - Disabled when hiding and duplicated

Started by RL_Pel2, June 23, 2020, 12:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RL_Pel2

Hello all,

I was searching about this issue myself and saw an existing thread here: https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?topic=24178.0

The thread describes the issue pretty well, but basically, the Geometry node will "disable itself" (have no effect) at certain times such as:

1. Opening a file where any piece of displaced geometry is hidden. In this case, I need to unhide any of those items, go into the Material Graph, and hit Alt-G to re-execute all of the nodes.
2. When duplicating a piece of displaced geometry, the new duplicated geometry does not have the displacement added, even though it is the same linked geometry. The temporary fix is the same (manually re-executing the node).

As you can imagine, re-executing the displacement is pretty time-intensive when first opening up a heavy file. For example, my current project has maybe 15-20 different parts with displaced geometry, and maybe 6-8 different displaced materials total, so it takes about 3-5 minutes to execute the geometry again.

Unfortunately, the fix listed in the thread is clunky IMO, mainly because I would like to keep my displacement editable (these aren't final designs, but working files), so "baking" the displaced geometry by exporting and reimporting it does not seem like a viable option.

I thought I would ask -- has there been any progress on this issue on the development side? Even a "freeze" or "lock" displacement (rather than a permanent) bake would be a great improvement.

Thank you very much.