Geometry hidden or deleted, which is better for performance?

Started by CodyBrown, June 30, 2020, 10:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodyBrown

i have a very large scene with 10,252 parts. lots of nuts, bolts, and screws holding everything together. what i used to do with all the hidden ones was color them all a unique color so right before a render i could delete or hide them to hopefully increase render time.

my new scene is larger than any ive done before and just for the real time view, would it cause better performance to color and hide all these duplicate objects so the real time view wont have to render them? if so, would the difference in performance be noticeable?

same question for rendering, will turning all this off or deleting it before a render cause better render times, or even noticeable if so? or would i be better off saving the time to select all the individual parts and instead just select the whole assembly with the fasteners in it and make it all one color and call it a day.

germannick

Cody, my suggestion is to keep your KS file a small as possible. Delete all not needed geometry and link all identical textures. First of all this will keep your structure a small as possible, prevents accidential part appearances and you will work with the best possible performance.
For your setup of your render scene, work in logic blocks. Hide everythink that is not needed at the time and focus on the detail. Show and hide your objects as you go along. A logic model sets structur is very helpful in this process.