Roest Sample Coffee Roaster | Behind the scenes

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, July 07, 2020, 01:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hi guys,

Woah, it's been a long time since I've been in this part of the forum. Last time I did a longer animation was close to a decade ago. Anyway, here's a recent project done for the good guys at Røst (Roest), showing behind the scenes of their sample coffee roaster.

Our goal was to capture the attention through a short, sharp and concise animation, and educate their clients and prospects on how their coffee roaster works.
[vimeo]https://player.vimeo.com/video/436000909[/vimeo]

Technical Info:
Model prepared using Siemens NX (including Motion Graphics)
Beans simulation done with Blender Physics
Rendered using KeyShot 9
Post-processed in After Effects.

Eugen Fetsch

harmonyPD

Really nice work - how did you do the beans tumbling in NX? Was the motion study imported directly into NX?

Chris

Magnus Skogsfjord

Thanks guys. Appreciate it!

Quote from: harmonyPD on July 08, 2020, 07:46:34 AM
Really nice work - how did you do the beans tumbling in NX? Was the motion study imported directly into NX?

Oh, I'm sorry - I should have included that in the description. Editing that now. No the beans were simulated using Blender Physics. Only the foundation for the motion graphics came from NX : )

smalldogstudio

Great work - love the motion and everything - best wishes
David

Magnus Skogsfjord

Josh Richman

This is amazing work! Can you share what steps were done in post? AE.  Were the zooms? and any other post processing done? Did you set up all of the animation before going to Keyshot or was it done inside Keyshot?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Josh Richman on September 26, 2020, 03:30:05 PM
This is amazing work! Can you share what steps were done in post? AE.  Were the zooms? and any other post processing done? Did you set up all of the animation before going to Keyshot or was it done inside Keyshot?

Thank you! Appreciate that.

The machine itself was prepped in NX, while the beans were simulated and exported through the alembic format in Blender. All camera movements are path animations set up directly inside keyshot. The animation was rendered out all in image sequence format OpenEXR, together with depth pass and various luma passes.

Using AE: All the depth of field sequences were added in post using the frischluft plugin. Also motion blur using the pixel blur effect. I do suspect the RSMB plugin does a slightly better job at adding motion blur, but I haven't tried it yet. Since KS can't output vector passes, I don't see the big value yet of getting it either. The motion graphics were rendered as separate layers and composed in post.

Not sure how deep you want me to go here, but just let me know if you want me to emphasize anything :)