I need your help for choose a graphic card

Started by maobros, July 23, 2020, 11:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maobros

Hello mates,

I want to update my desktop computer, mainly the graphic card and the processor.

I would like to know what processor and graphics card (GTX/RTX/Quadro) can you recommend me to get the most out of KeyShot when I go to render.

I usually do my models in Rhinoceros or SolidWorks in Windows 10.

The budget I have is around 1200 to 1400 USD.

I remain attentive, thank you very much.

Reggards from Colombia.

Justin A

Hey Maobros,

We have done some extensive testing on GPU rendering and found with your price range an RTX 2080ti would be the best bang for your buck.
on some levels the RTX 2080ti has performed as well as an RTX 5000, you are loosing a little on Vram with the RTX 2080ti  running 11G and the RTX 5000 runs 16G.  The RTX 2080ti has performed very well with rendering speeds.

I hope this helps a little with your  PC build.

smalldogstudio

You may also be wise in waiting to see what price/spec the RTX 3000 series cards are going to be and when they are available . . . if you can wait? The new 3000 series should be based on the Ampere chipset ??? but no firm details on them yet, rumoured release is Q4 2020-ish?

I'm considering this as an upgrade myself

best wishes with your build

David

PerFotoVDB

Interesting topic.

I have an extended question on this topic: how reliant is Keyshot on GPU to be able to work fluently on large scenes?

We regularly work with files that have around 250milj triangles - to 20gb+ ram filled when opened - 150000+ parts.
Mostly Keyshot behaves very well. Our PC's are 2990WX with 64gb ram.
However, when interacting in the viewport we sometimes get freezes that the viewport isn't refreshing (and reducing noise).
Would it help to have a better GPU than the GTX1060 I currently have?

Happy my question is a bit clear.
Tnx for help,
Per

LM6

I have 4 x RTX 2080 ti and Keyshot works great on them, very fast.

DriesV

NVIDIA is presenting their new GPUs with Ampere architecture tomorrow.
If the rumors are to be true, then these new cards will offer radically improved raytracing performance. Let's wait and see, but I would certainly include the new line-up in any GPU purchasing decision at this point in time.

Dries

phos4

Quote from: DriesV on August 31, 2020, 05:31:01 AM

Aaarghhh...just ordered a new custom workstation with the 2080ti...

DriesV

Quote from: phos4 on August 31, 2020, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: DriesV on August 31, 2020, 05:31:01 AM

Aaarghhh...just ordered a new custom workstation with the 2080ti...

The RTX 2080 Ti will remain a great card for GPU rendering, but the increased raytracing performance and especially the larger memory (24 GB) is going to make the soon-to-be-released RTX 3090 a very attractive card for GPU rendering in KeyShot.
With RTX 2080 Ti, you can run into situations where a scene with all its geometry and textures simply doesn't fit into the memory. Tying together two cards with NVLink can solve this, but at a not insignificant performance penalty.
I think it is safe to say the 24 GB of the RTX 3090 will be able to fit 99% of KeyShot scenes.

But all of this remains speculation, until after today's NVIDIA event. :-)

Dries

phos4

Quote from: DriesV on September 01, 2020, 01:44:36 AM
The RTX 2080 Ti will remain a great card for GPU rendering, but...

That is not really helping to ease the pain... ;)

Well, luckily we work mainly on CE products, than that should be fine....till tonight.  :o ;)

DriesV

I am using an RTX 2080 Ti with KeyShot at home. For the typical product shot scene, it is a great card. You can fit a lot of geometry on that card. And if you are smart about textures (i.e. not 4K or 8K for every single texture), you can fit a whole lot of textures as well.

Dries

mafrieger

would be nice to see some "official" benchmarks for different Nvidia-Cards directly from Keyshot...

in the meantime:
it looks like one could expect already an improvement going from Quadro RTX 6000 to new RTX 3080
within the range of 1.7x up to 2.6x (average >2.0).
So with 3090 this should be typically more than 2x in all cases.

where are theses numbers from?
from iray dev blog, which is the "offical" nvidia render which leverage the same Nvidia OptiX Ray Tracing Engine like Keyshot does...
just have a look: https://blog.irayrender.com/post/628125542083854336/after-yesterdays-announcement-of-the-new-geforce

DriesV

Yes, RTX 3080 looks like a screamer for raytracing.
Please note though that this card "only" has 10 GB memory, compared to 24 GB for RTX 6000. Also, for some reason NVIDIA has decided against supporting NVLink on RTX 3080. So you won't be able to double the memory pool like you could with RTX 2080 (Ti). Only RTX 3090 supports NVLink.

Dries

mafrieger

maybe there will be an 3080 with 20GB in the not to far future.. (e.g. when Big Navi from competitor AMD arrives or when Micron brings their up-coming double capacity DDR6X Chips to market)

when choosing 3090, you shouldn't be shocked about it's HUGE size, allocating 3-Slots. When thinking about using a pair of these beasts (connected via NV-Link) it becomes really interesting to find a good fitting MoBo and case...
And of course you also need to re-think your power supply - we are talking about 2x 350W 8-D

phos4

After seeing the performance improvements (Nvidias presentation) from the 2080ti to the new 3090, I think it is a no brainer to get the 3090 for about the same price. The only question will be, does it fit your case? ...;)

DriesV

Quote from: phos4 on September 02, 2020, 12:31:28 PM
... The only question will be, does it for your case? ...;)

Of course we will have to test for compatibility with an actual card, but I see no reason why KeyShot wouldn't benefit to the same degree as other CUDA/OptiX applications.

Dries