Main Menu

Metal

Started by imikej, August 06, 2020, 07:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imikej

I find metal vexing. Always have. Getting it right is a tricky dance. I pulled out a project from a few years ago to see whether KS9 tools would get me closer to reality. KS9 never ceases to amaze me. Not totally satisfied. But, it's getting there. I know there are a few Triumph fans in this forum, so, here we areā€“more than a 100 years of engineering perfection behind this timing cover. And, to think all created back when rulers were rulers and calipers weren't digital. More to come as I get free time on our NR.

kamran Rahmani

Excellent job; everything is perfect about the material, but what I love the most is the geometry and the level of details. I think the first step toward an ideal shot is a geometry full of details. Nice!

imikej

Completely agree @kamran.  If the model isn't good and the detail isn't correct, I generally pass on working on it.  It's so important to have a great model.  In this case, there is one main model and then I've gotten parts from another model.  These motors came with Pozi screws and I would like to find a realistic model of a pozi screw to replace the Allen head screws.  Haven't found one yet.  But, many people changed out to Allen's, so it seems ok....  I do use KS split surfaces a lot to really refine the details and make the finishes different on a single part.

imikej

Here are a couple more shots.

imikej

Here are a few more shots.

Josh3D

A.maz.ing. I think you danced circles around that metal. Very enjoyable to dig into the full resolution image and see all the attention to detail.

HaroldL

This is a most complete model. Looks like it was modeled from the original Triumph drawings. Do you mind telling where you got it from? And what size Pozi drive screws do you need to make it more accurate?

imikej

Quote from: HaroldL on August 11, 2020, 10:24:41 AM
This is a most complete model. Looks like it was modeled from the original Triumph drawings. Do you mind telling where you got it from? And what size Pozi drive screws do you need to make it more accurate?
Thanks @HaroldL.  I bough this model several years ago from here: https://www.dbbpshop.com/?product=310006

I essentially need three types of Pozi screws.  1/4," 5/16," and 2BA counter sink oval (points cover).  The 1/4" and 5/16" are used for all of the other covers.  The shafts are different lengths.  I could make a list if you have more than just heads and plain shafts.

HaroldL

I thought the models for these could be downloaded from Tracepartsonline or 3DContentCentral but the models I saw on those sites were nowhere near accurate.

I get most all the fasteners I use in my models from McMasterCarr and they are usually Phillips Pan Head or socket head screws. They just don't happen to have Pozidriv fasteners.

I did find some ISO and DIN specs for the drive so an accurate model could be created using those specs, it would just take some time. If you could give me a list I'll see what I can do to create them for you. In which format did you get your model?

I though Triumph used metric fasteners, at least that's what was on my 77 Bonneville 750.

sleby

Stunning. Really love the 1st one of the 2nd batch. Great oily look on that cast metal parts!!

jamesinv

You smashed it mate I've worked on engines for over 30 years & I always find anything mechanical a real challenge there's so many different finishes ....I hoped you saved them in a custom folder as it makes life easier !1