Main Menu

Leather Dopp Bag

Started by DMerz III, August 20, 2020, 12:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

Modeled in Blender - obviously rendered in Keyshot. Some of the base textures came from Poliigon (although, heavily modified). Used the 'fuzz' feature on the leather edges to get those nice little leather hairs (no idea what they're actually called, haha).

PzyChi

Woah this is awesome ! Great work !

puyopuyo

Great work on the roughness and the lighting, it looks like a photo. Awesome model too- sculpted in Blender?

DMerz III

Thanks everyone!

@puyopuyo - yes started as a cube in Blender of course, polymodeled- used some cloth sim along the way, modeled the stitching, the bunching of the material around the stitching was hand-sculpted. Here's a series of screenshots I took during progress. Not the entire story, but maybe gives a clue or two of how much effort went into the model.

puyopuyo

Amazing!

I've been meaning to get into Blender too. Do you think I'll miss out on something later if I change the navigation style to Maya? Blender default feels really unintuive for me. :D

shanespence

Really impressive work! I could've been easily convinced that this was a photo if I hadn't seen it on a keyshot forum!

DMerz III

Quote from: puyopuyo on August 22, 2020, 03:40:48 AM
Amazing!

I've been meaning to get into Blender too. Do you think I'll miss out on something later if I change the navigation style to Maya? Blender default feels really unintuive for me. :D

I don't think so, I mean the tutorials online might need a little adaptation on the mouse/keystroke commands. Blender's power in modeling comes from utilizing hotkeys, which take some time to get used to, but in a pinch you can always search for the command you want (if you know what it is called) - it takes some time to get used to but it becomes second nature. I have not come into Blender from Maya, but I know quite a few people who have, and made the transition quickly - most of them ended up staying in Blender (although, harder to do if you're working on a larger team who all use Maya of course).

@Shanespence - thanks man, that's what I'm shooting for, really encouraging to hear!

puyopuyo

Well- I've decided to stick with the default navigation- I don't want to adjust when watching tutorials! :D

DMerz III

@puyopuyo

This video was pretty popular around the office back when 2.8 came out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aAg6X0bDd0

Might be some things in here that give you some good tips/ideas