stop assuming image size for UV mapped textures

Started by andy.engelkemier, September 10, 2020, 12:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

So you have an image that's 1:.55 aspect ratio.
you have another graphic option, so you duplicate your material inside a muli-material.

Head on over to textures, and just hit the little folder icon to change to your other graphic.
What!? your graphic is all messed up! Oh, keyshot Automatically screwed it up for you, thinking since your image isn't square, it figured it would just make that a scale of 1 and .55, even though a UV map is always based on a square.

That makes sense to do, I suppose, if the image is using something like planar or box mapping. But if it's UV, you should Always leave the scale alone. Let the user decide.
And if you replace an already existing image, if the aspect ratio is the same, don't touch it! Just leave it the same as the scale that was already there. If I had scaled the previous one to 1.2 x .73 then Leave it alone.
That could be really bad if I had to change it from 1x1 to .98x1.01 just to fudge the bleed lines a little or something. Because then I might not notice that you changed my scale automatically on the second one, and now have renders that won't line up.

Sometimes the idea of making something easier, makes things harder. If someone is using a UV map, it's likely you should just not change the scale. Don't change it to 1:1 either. Just don't change it at all.