How to resolve the jagged edges

Started by prabhu, September 20, 2020, 07:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prabhu

Dear all,
attached is a rendered image of draws.
When i am zooming the image, the edges of the draws are getting jagged.
kindly guide me to overcome this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Prabhu

Eugen Fetsch

It can help to double the resolution, use 1/4 of the samples and resize back in post. This way you can keep the render time at the same level and get a better anti aliasing in the rendering. Quartering the samples can lead to darker results in transparent materials and more noise in the shadows. You can increase the shadow quality to compensate this effect, but in cost of render time.

prabhu

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on September 20, 2020, 10:24:16 AM
It can help to double the resolution, use 1/4 of the samples and resize back in post. This way you can keep the render time at the same level and get a better anti aliasing in the rendering. Quartering the samples can lead to darker results in transparent materials and more noise in the shadows. You can increase the shadow quality to compensate this effect, but in cost of render time.

Thank you Eugen....

Will check out the settings...

DriesV

Hi Prabhu,

The aliasing looks particularly aggressive in your image. What settings are you rendering with? Maximum Samples or Custom Control?
We do have improved anti-aliasing for offline rendering with Maximum Samples in KeyShot 10, which is currently in beta.

Dries

DriesV

Can you share the scene, so we can check?
You can send data securely via our WeTransfer. Send to dries-at-luxion-dot-com.

Dries

prabhu

Quote from: DriesV on September 21, 2020, 01:14:00 AM
Hi Prabhu,

The aliasing looks particularly aggressive in your image. What settings are you rendering with? Maximum Samples or Custom Control?
We do have improved anti-aliasing for offline rendering with Maximum Samples in KeyShot 10, which is currently in beta.

Dries

Hi Dries,

i have used custom control options with below settings.

Output
Resolution - 1920 x 1200 px
DPI - 500

Format - JPEG with Quality 100

Options - Custom control
Samples - 1000
Global illumination - 2
Ray bounces - 14
Pixel blur - 1.5
Anti aliasing - 4
Shadows - 8

Sharp shadows - ON
Sharper texture filtering - ON
Global illumination cache - ON

prabhu

Quote from: DriesV on September 21, 2020, 02:51:02 AM
Can you share the scene, so we can check?
You can send data securely via our WeTransfer. Send to dries-at-luxion-dot-com.

Dries

I will share the files here..

The file is in below location..

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mZp6mlZ1DOR-lLAf-0whaPDfJgc_FazT?usp=sharing

prabhu

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on September 20, 2020, 10:24:16 AM

Hi Eugen..

Not clear with this term....

Quoteresize back in post

any guidance please..!!

Eugen Fetsch

QuoteWe do have improved anti-aliasing for offline rendering with Maximum Samples in KeyShot 10, which is currently in beta.
Hey Dries, that are great news. Thanks for improving it!

@prabhu
I mean if you have to render at 1080p just render in 4k but with 1/4 of samples used in 1k, then use a photo edditing application to resize the image back to 1080p. This should lead to same image quality but with better anti aliasing (jagged edges).

prabhu

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on September 21, 2020, 03:52:53 AM
QuoteWe do have improved anti-aliasing for offline rendering with Maximum Samples in KeyShot 10, which is currently in beta.
Hey Dries, that are great news. Thanks for improving it!

@prabhu
I mean if you have to render at 1080p just render in 4k but with 1/4 of samples used in 1k, then use a photo edditing application to resize the image back to 1080p. This should lead to same image quality but with better anti aliasing (jagged edges).

ya got it.... Thanks again  :)

will work on it....

DriesV

I looked at the scene, and it appears that the rather strong Area Light (15 Watt = 10245 Lumen) together with the high brightness of the scene (Exposure = 1 EV) contributes significantly to the aliasing of the edges.
My suggestion would be to dial down the exposure. You can use a white Background Color Layer in the Photographic Image Style, if you want to enforce a white background.

Dries

prabhu

Quote from: DriesV on September 21, 2020, 04:39:50 AM
I looked at the scene, and it appears that the rather strong Area Light (15 Watt = 10245 Lumen) together with the high brightness of the scene (Exposure = 1 EV) contributes significantly to the aliasing of the edges.
My suggestion would be to dial down the exposure. You can use a white Background Color Layer in the Photographic Image Style, if you want to enforce a white background.

Dries

Thank you Dries..

Will work on this....and will update the output...

prabhu

Hai all,

thank you all for the support. Got rid of the issue.

Increased the resolution and made slight adjustments in the environment.

Now the jagged edges are considerably reduced. But facing issues with the shadows. Hope it can be resolved in environment settings.

Thanks again to all...