Main Menu

Material study

Started by Zeltronic, October 08, 2020, 04:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeltronic

Just a quick experimentation with displace map and substance alchemist to simulate landscape / I think with more time & work could have some nice things...

designgestalt

this looks awesome!
well done !!
cheers

designgestalt

kamran Rahmani

great result,really enjoyed them, btw, how was your experience using alchemist? I'm trying to use Substance painter but I find It really hard to export the textures from SP to use in Keyshot.

Zeltronic

Well both alchemist and painter are great tools , but complementary tools , it is now very easy to export your textures from painter with the keyshot 9 template included, you can also link them easely in keyshot by using tool panel & material import, but I must admit that I often customize texture in keyshot and add some control to have exactly what I want...;)

designgestalt

hello Zeltronic,
sorry, I donĀ“t want to carry that away, but I have a technical question:

I do work with Substance Painter and Designer a bit, but even with the new template and the import option in KS, I have the impression, that my (once really crisp textures in Painter) come in very washed out in KS, even when exported highest resolution...
I ended up rendering my Substance output in Blender now for that reasson..
is there something I am doing wrong ?
what is your experience there?

thanks

designgestalt

Zeltronic

Well designgestalt there is no reasons that the same export come crisp in blender and not in ks, especially if the export resolution and uv mapping  are the same.
Did you use same set of textures in blender (I mean those generate by Keyshot 9 template) or generate it from specific template dedicated to blender ?
But most of the time like you I am not satisfy with Ks import , in most of cases the import is not matching the appearance that I have in painter, this is why I am always tweaking the texture set in KS , sometimes generic material do the trick but I also often switch with advance material or try other combination with mask to have better result, it depends on the project...But for sure this is not an exact science ;)

designgestalt

hello Zeltronic,
yes, I do use a specific Blender template to export to Blender.

I normally do a test render with the Vray renderer in Substance to check all textures before I export, but even with tweaking in KS I never managed to get the same crispness of the textures in KS ...
It always looks a bit like there is an implemented denoiser  ;)

your landscapes however look really nice and detailed !!
this is why I was asking ...
thanks a bunch, I will keep trying ...

cheers
designgestalt

Zeltronic

I understand, did you compare generate set in photoshop, I mean just open the basecolor map  generate from blender template and the one generate from keyshot template to see if keyshot texture look less crispy ?

Could be interesting if you share a basic spp file (a textured sphere for instance)  that have trouble with crispy texture in keyshot, I would be interesting to see if I have the same phenoma on my side ...