Lighting an interior

Started by KristofDeHulsters, February 04, 2021, 01:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KristofDeHulsters

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how I can get the image on the right to look like the one on the left in terms of lighting. My main problem is the backwall and the way it lights up on the left is much more localized where as the right is a lot more homogenous. It seems almost that Keyshot's Interior Mode is almost to good at bouncing the light around in closed spaces. The way the light is setup is just an Area Light behind the window set to 20000 lux. I've tried:
- reducing the sample count on the area light material
- reducing ray bounces
- setting the glass in the window to solid
- changing the brightness on the area light material
Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance!

INNEO_MWo

I would try to move the area light panel a bit away from the window. And also tilt the plane some degree that the light fall more naturally. That should reduce the reflection on the ceiling.

I've learned a lot from Blender Guru's (Andrew Price) YouTube channel. There are a lot of great tutorials about photo realism. The techniques from Blender can easily be adapted to KeyShot.

Hope that helps, curious about the results

CheerEO
Marco

KristofDeHulsters

Hi Marco,

I tried moving around the light plane and tilting it. I also tried setting up the light with a sphere instead of plane but I am having no luck getting the ceiling not to light up. Is there any tutorial in particular that you'd advise I watch?

Thanks!

texax

Getting the indoors environment to light up as in V-Ray is possible but requires more work. Just fake it. Don't lean on physics like having only Area Light plane outside the window thinking it will do the job. Place area lights all over the place outside the camera FOV until you get desired effect. You would be surprised how interior can have a good atmosphere using only HDRI environment. Usually I would start from HDRI to setup my shadows and then I would add Area Light planes to add to areas that are dim. Lot's of trial and error but in the process you will setup some lighting scenarios you weren't even thinking about doing it but they looks so good.

mattjgerard

moving the light source away from the window will get you more "cut" on the shadows as well. you can adjust your materials to find tune how much they reflect back, and I'm of the belief that no image is final raw out the renderer. Photoshop has its place, and that's to get the image to where you want.

KristofDeHulsters

Hi Matt,

Thanks for replying to this old thread. I tried moving the light plane around a lot but couldn't get it to sit right to get that same look. I can indeed change the material in how it reflects back but I'm wondering if applying a reflection map is really the good way of doing it (since in reality the back wall doesn't have vastly different reflectivity) in different locations). Anyway, I'll revisit this one soon. And yes, I think most images could use touching up in PS, I just like to use PS the least amount possible because it is time consuming!

cameraman!1

Quote from: KristofDeHulsters on April 16, 2021, 05:43:06 PM
Hi Matt,

Thanks for replying to this old thread. I tried moving the light plane around a lot but couldn't get it to sit right to get that same look. I can indeed change the material in how it reflects back but I'm wondering if applying a reflection map is really the good way of doing it (since in reality the back wall doesn't have vastly different reflectivity) in different locations). Anyway, I'll revisit this one soon. And yes, I think most images could use touching up in PS, I just like to use PS the least amount possible because it is time consuming!
Agree 100% It is an undeniable fact that using PS makes you waste a lot of time!